Exclusive track arming

Jon L. Jacobi

An option to disarm all other tracks when you arm the current track. This makes it quicker to pursue an idea  because you don’t have to constantly check to see if other tracks might inadvertently be written to. Shift or Ctrl could used to arm multiple tracks when this option is selected.

Just as an aside, I have overwritten tracks that weren’t in view because I had forgotten to disarm them. Generally because inspiration trumped careful methodology. Yes, a personal issue... 😉

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 3

• 2 weeks later...

I asked for it as an option, not as the default behavior. All the DAWs that have this offer non-exclusive arm as well. If you're recording a live band, this would obviously be a pain in the toukus. When you're recording on your own, a track at a time, it's easier.  At least for me. 

• Thanks 1

For me, these (and similar feature/behavior requests) don't seem to be at odds with each other; they are not strictly default or set-once-and-work-for-all-projects preferences.  It seems to me preferential choices are ideal to be included in lens management.  Right now, some preferences in some functional categories are optionally either (a) saved with a personal customized lens or (b) not saved with a personal customized lens.

So, if the preferences for which people are asking for choices to do it differently (different functions/behaviors) than either the current method and/or the default method were managed via lens management,  I think one of the benefit of lenses as "This is the way I want my version of Cakewalk to work (implied: 90-100% of the time)" could  be realized.  

With such an implementation, people who alternate between different sets of preferences for different types of projects might benefit as well.

Just a thought.

image.png

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to reduce the image size as it was too big; to add a mock up of the lens management idea
  • Like 2

On 10/9/2019 at 5:49 PM, Jim Fogle said:

@Jon L. Jacobi, Thanks for your follow up post.  What do you think of @MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)'s suggestion of placing optional workflow operation preferences  into lens settings?  How do you envision the developers implementing the feature?

I think that's a very, very good idea. As a simple switch. Exclusive arm and if you aren't holding shift, it will disarm any other tracks that are disarmed. Alternately, holding shift as it stands now to disable all other tracks. 

• Great Idea 1