CHECKING MIX FOR BALANCE BEFORE MASTERING

Miguel Carzola

Hi friends. Glad to see lots of familiar names continuing to put out some great material.

I've been tinkering too. In my last posts I've been working on American Song Book material but done only with acoustic guitars and percussion to evoke the kind of sonoric qualities of the songs we used to cover when a group of my friends and I would gather after gigs in Miami.  Some acoustic guitars, some percussion, and a few well placed vocal harmonies, and songs would take on a life beyond what was in the original recordings we knew and loved.

Usually when it was my turn to sing I was sitting among them and I felt as if my voice was enveloped with inverted chords and counterpoint both in voices and guitars, and  whoever else was present would make percussion of whatever there was around (even guitar cases and plastic salt shakers, I kid you not) so this is a more polished version of what it felt like to me.

Lead vocals were recorded with a Shure Beta 58a at arm's length in a walk-in closet. Backing vocals used Shure sm63 (omni interview mic) to minimize masking with the lead, and SM57's were used for anything else that required mic'ing.

I know the mix EQ is a little harsh still but what I'm checking for with you guys is the overall balance of the mix. Is there enough of every element to keep the movement going despite there being only 4 components to the arrangement.

I hope most of all that it makes you all smile a little.

Thanx.

Edited by Miguel Carzola
spelling/content
  • Like 1

• Miguel Carzola changed the title to SINATRA COVER "SOMETHING STUPID" CHECKING MIX FOR BALANCE BEFORE MASTERING
  • Miguel Carzola changed the title to CHECKING MIX FOR BALANCE BEFORE MASTERING