This DAW will not be free soon

Zaid Myers

19 hours ago, Zaid Myers said:

will the programs we are using now will still work or will we have to buy new ones?

Yes, but you need to be on the latest release and the activation server it uses will eventually be shut down after an unknown - but likely pretty generous - period, so it will quit working when your activation expires.

The price of the paid replacement, Sonar (no longer all caps), has been promised to be "very reasonable" (or similar language). If you like CbB, have used it for a long time, and music is important to you, you should just plan on shelling out when the time comes. All the discussion about this reminds me of the answer that's commonly given on  motorcycle forums when someone asks how much they should spend on a helmet... "How much is your head worth?"

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, John Vere said:

Sorry but there’s nothing even close that is free.  Bad advice. 

I know, this is because I use CbB and I like it, but there are another options where you can  make music and they are ( for the moment ) free

They run plugins, you can use midi and sound tracks, you miss some things, of course, you can continue making music, of course too.

CbB is only a tool, great tool, but just that, a tool.

I think Bandlab must do at last a lite version of the tool free if they don't want to lost many people in the change.

Edited by Conteloto

Because three times a week - sometimes twice in the same day - yet another person starts yet another thread on this exact same subject. And it always degenerates into useless speculations about pricing models and entitlement mentality crybabies bitching about the "lifetime updates" that they are "owed"

That's why.

• Like 2

Exactly. I guess only those of us who are here way more than is good for us notice this.  
But Byron is right. All these dozens of threads have followed the same format. We are not being negative and I feel pity on the pour sole who asks the question.
There’s always been a core group of people who are pretty dang helpful and dedicated to the daily task of helping people even if they didn’t read the manual. But this particular question now will only result in exactly what happened here. It’s the internet get over it. 

On 11/19/2023 at 3:13 AM, Byron Dickens said:

Because three times a week - sometimes twice in the same day - yet another person starts yet another thread on this exact same subject. And it always degenerates into useless speculations about pricing models and entitlement mentality crybabies bitching about the "lifetime updates" that they are "owed"

That's why.

Wouldn't it be up to Cakewalk  as a company itself to put out the information? I don't see YOUR name on the executive list or even part ownership. Being kind to people is a lot less stresfull then what you are doing now. People ask questions because Cakewalk hasn't brought out any news in about a year now.  Just Sayin.

• Like 1
  • Meh 1

On 11/18/2023 at 11:50 PM, Byron Dickens said:

Well, they are. It's called "BandLab."

This is not a "lite" version, it is a toy. I am talking about something like cubase lite or similar

4 hours ago, Danny Miller said:

Wouldn't it be up to Cakewalk  as a company itself to put out the information? I don't see YOUR name on the executive list or even part ownership. Being kind to people is a lot less stresfull then what you are doing now. People ask questions because Cakewalk hasn't brought out any news in about a year now.  Just Sayin.

That's right

To get to the secret decoder page go to other links home cakewalk.  It will lead to a page which has the two “new” DAWs info.  Click and read and you’ll have all the information available to those of us outside of Cakewalk authorized folk.

hint:  the free version of CbB will go away at some unspecified point in the future.  Then you have to pay for your daw like regular shlubs, not the special customers you are now.

😉

@

Edited by Alan Tubbs
None
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

15 hours ago, Danny Miller said:

Wouldn't it be up to Cakewalk  as a company itself to put out the information...?

Well, they have.

You don't suppose that news and announcements could be in "News and Announcements" do you?

Never mind that - as John has pointed out elsewhere - a simple internet search would turn up the answer. Including all the dozens of aforementioned threads that have been beaten to death.