Re downloading .cwp files from the cloud...

Adam Salomon

Ok. It looks like I've deleted the Cakewalk Projects folder from my C drive to save space. So right now I'm in the recycle bin and restoring everything I deleted. But the folder may be permanently gone since the recycle bin is too small.  I've got many duplicate project files on three HDs. So I think now I should delete Cakewalk and reinstall the program to start fresh with all the default settings. I went into settings and changed some other stuff too. So I think that method will be the easiest. Do you concur?

Edited by Adam Salomon

Ok. It looks like I've deleted the Cakewalk Projects folder from my C drive to save space. So right now I'm in the recycle bin and restoring everything I deleted. But the folder may be permanently gone since the recycle bin is too small.  I've got many duplicate project files on three HDs. So I think now I should delete Cakewalk and reinstall the program to start fresh with all the default settings. I when into settings and changed some other stuff too. So I think that method will be the easiest. Do you concur?

2 hours ago, Ahmo1965 said:

Ok. It looks like I've deleted the Cakewalk Projects folder from my C drive to save space. So right now I'm in the recycle bin and restoring everything I deleted. But the folder may be permanently gone since the recycle bin is too small.  I've got many duplicate project files on three HDs. So I think now I should delete Cakewalk and reinstall the program to start fresh with all the default settings. I when into settings and changed some other stuff too. So I think that method will be the easiest. Do you concur?

Don't do anything else to your C:\ drive. You may need to take it to a restorer services. They can, under the right conditions, find all your deleted files .   

Looking at your folder location I see nothing wrong or any mess. I myself have it very much the same but with Projects are directed to the root of my Data drive. I do this so I can then open one of the 4 category folders. Same difference as yours only you only have one folder,, fine.  Other difference is my Wave files go to the same data drive but a folder called "Masters" in that folder are categories as well. All the other locations are defaults.  

But if your missing data was stored originally in the dreaded "GlobalAudio" folder then ya,, things are doomed to be lost. I remember a long time ago when I learned that mistake ( Sonar 7) and have since stayed with per project files. I have never lost anything since. 

I never, ever delete anything on my computer without first backing up my data to external drives. Used to be I had huge C drives but SSD's are generally smaller, well mine are still, so I just don't store anything on them unless it's my laptop. 

Edited by Cactus Music

3 hours ago, scook said:

The defaults are shown in the help I linked above.

8 hours ago, scook said:

Not sure if I would go to the trouble of re-installing especially if the DAW is working. Per-project audio folders will go a long way in keeping projects and related data together. May want to review the folder locations and audio data settings in preferences.

I found the files that were on the link.  I deleted some of them off of the C drive, but then just made new folders and duplicated them.  I just did a playback and audio recording test.  Everything is working now, Thank God.  I uninstalled all Cakewalk related software and reinstalled it, but that did not fix the folder location.  So I guess DO Not delete anything from the C drive, eh?  That's Bad.  Don't know if I can recover all I deleted but I've learned quite a lesson.  The most important files I'm able to access so that's good.

5 minutes ago, scook said:

If there is only one internal drive that is as good as it gets. If the projects are small, using an external drive for recording may work.

I do have a 2 TB internal C drive with 60% available on it. So it'll work for temporary storage. 

Edited by Ahmo1965

There is no need to set the external as the default project location. If you want to do so, it is the Project Files entry in Folder Location in Preferences (see the help link above). That said it is possible to create projects on any drive available to the DAW regardless of the default setup in Project Files.

The Global Audio Folder is where audio is stored when not using per-project audio folders. It is also where audio is temporarily stored if a project is created and used before naming the project. Once named, with per-project audio folders, by default the audio is stored in a folder where the project file is written.

Fortunately, the disk space needed is predictable. On this help page is a table of MB per minute for a variety of sample rates for 16 and 24 bit audio clips.

Actually the table does not help in this case, if you are storing audio as 32 or 64bit floating point.

The formula is

clip duration * sample rate * bit depth * number of channels in the wav = clip file size.

For example 1 minute of a stereo clip recorded @ 44.1kHz 32bit uses ~20.187 MB.

64bit uses twice as much.