Re downloading .cwp files from the cloud...

Adam Salomon

I do believe per project is the default now. I think they removed the option to toggle the feature on/off and just set it as the default which is what everyone was using anyhow. 

A person still has the option to do a "save as" and not copy the audio. 

Edited by Cactus Music

Got it. So I'm gonna open all the files that are not in their own per project folders and re-save them as per project folders. Thank you guys. I've been needing the answer to this question since I first upgraded my computer like 10 years ago when I was using Sonar 6XL. 

But is there a way to get the audio files that lost and "replaced with silence?

I've opened a few and I think they're permanently lost.

Edited by Adam Salomon

3 hours ago, Adam Salomon said:

But is there a way to get the audio files that lost and "replaced with silence?

I have never really used it, but would the CWAF Tool help?

I am not sure the Tool works. I tried to run it twice just now and both times it just closed down.

image.png

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to warn that the CWAF Tool shut down on me twice

For anyone else who has an interest in this thread.  I ended up buying  Microsoft One Drive 365.  Main reason, when i upload my Cakewalk .cwp folders, then reopen them,  I have no problem accessing them.  They come up right away in Cakewalk software.  With Google Drive, each  individual track came up and if I lost my hard drive, I would have to upload each track separately for every song file I have.  I have like 8 TB of recordings.  That would take a year.  Thanks for all the advice dudes!  Much Appreciated! 

I am not sure how its supposed to work because (1) the search window also shut down while searching on my laptop and (2) I couldn't find detailed online help for the tool or a detailed explanation in the Reference Guide.  Update: There is, however, a help button which has more detailed information on how the CWAF Tool works. 

You might want to ask your son if he uses any non-Windows file search tools.  I only know of one I found years ago, "Everything."  On my PC I have customized a filter to find things like *.wrk and *.cwp files, *.ins files, vst folders, and others in addition to the ones the software comes with.

If the files are still on your computer, one of the search tools should be able to find them.  With "Everything" if I am looking for *.wav files, I look for all wave files, sort by date, and then look for it.  If I know a specific word is in the file name, I use that word to narrow down the results. 

Before yesterday, I only test drove the CWAF tool years ago. I seem to recall it found Cakewalk Projects and audio files referenced by those projects.  I seem to recall if a file were moved and opening the project didn't find it in the expected spot, the CWAF tool could be used to find where the missing audio was.

I hope someone with more knowledge of the CWAF tool can help explain (1) how it is supposed to work, (2) if it would help solve your problem (and how it would be done), (3) where the detailed explanation of the tool can be found, and (4) why mine shuts down before it finishes searching.

Sorry if I pointed you in the direction of a non-helpful suggestion, but maybe there's hope.

to fix typos; to add a note about the "built-in" help button.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:53 PM, Adam Salomon said:

I have like probably Fifteen 6 hour jams with my college buddies. All audio.

8 minutes ago, Adam Salomon said:

So I should search in the "Everything" program for     *.cwp   files?   Or should I search for  *.wav   files?

To answer: whatever format the original files were saved as

If you were not in the habit of using per-project audio folders, all project wav files are stored in the Global Audio Folder. While a user may locate the folder anywhere, the default has been the same for years - C:\Cakewalk Projects\Audio Data

Ok. Thanks. Right now I'm clearing space on my C drive because it's almost full. Moving all my recordings to a External  5 TB hard drive. I'm making sure to include the audio files. Now I realize that's crucial. Then I'll open every project that is not saved in a "per project" folder and save those projects in their own folder making sure the audio folder is along for the ride. Do you think that'll solve my problem?

Edited by Adam Salomon

Per-project audio folders are the way to go. It is the default and has been for some time.

Don't even need to bundle, rar or zip projects for archiving. Just drag the project folder to the new location. The new location could be a local HD or elsewhere. The project folder should have at least one project file and the associated Audio folder. When projects are created using the default per-project audio structure, the project folders are portable and may be run from any local drive.

Yes, re-pointing the Global Audio Folder may work for you. Usually the DAW asks where the audio is when it cannot find it during project open.

One thing about using a non-default Global Audio Folder, upon starting the DAW if the the folder is unavailable, the program silently switches to the default and updates preferences. This can be a real PITA when using external drives. I always use a different internal drive for current projects and create a directory junction pointing C:\Cakewalk Projects\Audio Data to the actual physical location and leave preferences alone.

• Like 1