I was going to attend one of the climate change protests today ....

SteveStrummerUK

My kids High School told them, leave the building and it will count as unexcused absence. Which my one child thought was humorous and sad  as she is a leader in environmental club and wrote an article for the school newspaper on environmental concerns. The school wants them involved but god forbid we stand up for what we believe in!

Anyway,  I'm glad teens are voicing an opinion.

• Great Idea 2

LOL!    So far my kids have been good.   My problem with them is that they are obsessed with getting A's.  At the  parent teacher meeting , multiply teachers brought up that my kids are really hard on themselves. My wife and I told them that is them not us. We want them to do good but don't have to kill yourself's on getting all A's .  Right know  in Advanced math my younger one got mad because she only got a 94% in her last test.   Mind you she is overall at 118% in the class because she does all extra credit given.  Last year at the end of the semester she wasn't feeling good but still went to school and had a bad math grade. She did the extra credit the last week of school even though the teacher told her it wasn't necessary. Her response was I want to finish your class at over 100% and she did.   My wife and I keep asking, are  they really our kids because we both were average students 😃

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

LOL!    So far my kids have been good.   My problem with them is that they are obsessed with getting A's.  At the  parent teacher meeting , multiply teachers brought up that my kids are really hard on themselves. My wife and I told them that is them not us. We want them to do good but don't have to kill yourself's on getting all A's .  Right know  in Advanced math my younger one got mad because she only got a 94% in her last test.   Mind you she is overall at 118% in the class because she does all extra credit given.  Last year at the end of the semester she wasn't feeling good but still went to school and had a bad math grade. She did the extra credit the last week of school even though the teacher told her it wasn't necessary. Her response was I want to finish your class at over 100% and she did.   My wife and I keep asking, are  they really our kids because we both were average students 😃

A quick proof-reading of that paragraph confirms that they did not get this motivation from you. 🤣

(Sorry Ed! 🤭)

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 3

Yikes!   I would say the truth hurts but you are right that my writing stinks.   My wife is the writer and grammar police. 
I worry that my kids push themselves to hard.
Friends  daughter just dropped out of High School :(  so I'm happy that my kids are involved in clubs and really want to learn.  My oldest is taking a graphic design class and took the honors option  doing extra projects.  She took it because she didn't want a free period and she loves to draw.  She is glad because the teacher is wonderful. He comes from working in private sector and wanted to give back later in life. 

On 9/21/2019 at 11:51 AM, InstrEd said:

My wife and I keep asking, are  they really our kids because we both were average students 😃

I always aspired to be an average student. Never rose to that level.

My kid revels in crushing me in everything. One way to build the kid's confidence is do so badly yourself they are sure to shine in comparison.

Edited by Gswitz
  • Haha 3