Forum Post Shelf-Life?

razor7music

I find this so funny, I don't know why. You post a question or need for help on some forum, and then hopefully with the input from the group, your question is answered, issue resolved.

Then....months and sometimes years later, you get an email that someone has replied to your thread. Looking at the OP topic, you think, "whoa! what?" Then you go to the post you made 5 years ago! Wait what? Yeah, I posted a question to a Microsoft technical forum 5 years earlier, only to have someone suggest a solution to my issue. I was polite, and didn't reply. I now know I should update my OP topics with {SOLVED/ANSWERED} to try to close the thread.

This Cakewalk forum is the most actively engaged forum I have ever been on--and being in tech and music, hobbies, etc. I've been  on a lot of forums--that's saying a lot!

But on other forums, the moral to the story is, take a look at the date of the OP. If it's reeeeaal old, chances are your reply isn't needed any longer.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Cheers

I'm posting this response on the 23rd October 2027, but have travelled back in time and altered the date so that it appears to come to you within a time frame that is more agreeable to you.

My reason for posting is to congratulate you on getting an actual useful answer on a Microsoft help forum. How did you find someone who actually answered the question that you asked?

Edited by paulo
  • Haha 1

User Error. User Error, User Error..............

That is what I got years ago from Alesis support. After I proved the issue the response was oh we don't make are own drivers. We will send over the information.  Never heard back from them :(       'll always remember that.  Of course I get emails routinely from them on hey look at are neat new products.

34 minutes ago, paulo said:

I'm posting this response on the 23rd October 2027,

I'm sending "Emmett Lathrop"   back/forward in time to  correct your mistake.  You must have the wrong date as October 23 was wiped off as of 2025.
This is a pre-recorded message, don't try to respond -------- Beeep!

31 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

User Error. User Error, User Error..............

When I ran a tech support team back in the early 90's, we would refer to these as "a problem between the keyboard and the chair" or a "502" (the police code for a DUI or, as we called them, a "dysfunctional user incident." 😉

Actually, the Microsoft tech area (servers, networking, etc) forum was fairly responsive. I don't know about desktop stuff--but I get it.

I also love when someone can't take the 30 seconds to open a new post to ask their question, and hijacks your's! I mean, if a thread has run its course and the issue has been sufficiently comment on, I may ask a related question starting with an "OT" but some people's kids! 😕

On 9/21/2019 at 3:59 AM, paulo said:

..... How did you find someone who actually answered the question that you asked?

I always get answers alright, just not to the questions I asked. Infuriating I know, but at least an answer. 
I recently contacted an online store management support team for help with an error message while trying to recover my password, telling me to contact support. 
In reply I was given instructions on how to recover my password. Haha.  It’s only taken 2 weeks for this exchange to occur. I’m glad I pay for high speed broadband. It means I can wait so much faster than I used to. 

• Haha 1