Alesis DM10 Module vs. Behringer X-Touch Universal Control Surface

Jay Underwood

I have an Alesis DM-10X e-drum set set connected to my DAW for recording drum parts in KbB via Addictive Drums 2.  The physical connection is a USB cable from the DM10 module to a USB port on my computer.  I have the MD10 module set to send MIDI data in omni mode.  Everything has always worked perfectly with the DM10 module.  No problems at all. 

However, I recently got a Behringer X-Touch Universal Control Surface.  It too connects to my computer via USB.  When doing the initial setup, there did not seem to be any way to specify a MIDI channel, or even omni mode,  for the X-Touch.  When I was setting up the X-Touch, the DM10 module was off and the X-Touch worked perfectly. But when I turned on the DM10 module, the X-touch disconnected from the DAW and became unresponsive.  

Does anyone have any ideas why the two USB MIDI devices are conflicting, or know how to resolve the issue?  I read somewhere that the X-touch was incompatible with USB 3, so I move it to a USB 2.0 port and still have the same problem. Could it be something as simple as a bad MIDI cable?  Or could it be software related in some way, maybe some kind of MIDI conflict?

BTW, I could connect the X-touch using an Ethernet connection, but I would rather not have an active NIC port on my DAW if I can avoid that.  If possible, I would prefer to have the two USB MIDI devices work happily together.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--Jay

Sonar/CbB is long time not extremely smart when working with MIDI devices, in part of detecting which device should be connected where.

So disconnect both devices, cleanup all of them (there can be several instances) in Windows (device manager, with show hidden devices set), delete CbB MIDI settings file, install both (on location/hub/port you will always using them) and there is some chance that will be stable.

Precise instruction how to remove MIDI devices and CbB MIDI settings you can find in many posts on this/old forum.