Tools HUD disappears too easily

Jeremy Jensen

I think a small improvement to Cakewalk would be to make it so that the Tools HUD doesn't disappear until you click outside of the boundaries of the HUD. You could also include a small "X" to close the HUD as well. Either way, simply clicking one of the HUD buttons shouldn't make the HUD disappear. When I'm right clicking each of the buttons to see where a tool resides (e.g., where the Mute tool is) it's annoying that I have to keep clicking the center mouse button to make the HUD reappear.

Edited by Jeremy Jensen
  • Great Idea 1

This is a great example of users working in different ways. Personally the tool HUD disappearing after each click is exactly how I want the feature to work. I can use the "T" shortcut (or middle mouse button) to bring it up at any time.

For instances as you speak of, where you want to switch tools of the same icon, I use the tool module in the control bar.

Too bad there wasn't a way we could both be happy, maybe have it as an option or some sort.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Jensen said:

When I'm right clicking each of the buttons to see where a tool resides (e.g., where the Mute tool is) it's annoying that I have to keep clicking the center mouse button to make the HUD reappear and that's kind of annoying.

try instead to left click that little tiny arrow in the corner of the tool. This lets you choose the tool while still keeping the HUD open.

• Like 3

I tried Chuck's idea and it didn't work how I was hoping it would. Anytime you click one of the tool buttons in the HUD, it disappears.

I need to be able to see, for example, where the mute tool is. It isn't immediately apparent to me which of those buttons contain it. Therefore, I need to be able to click on each of those buttons without the HUD disappearing. That's my request. Left clicking on the tiny arrow doesn't produce anything close to what I want in a desired behavior. That's fine if I'm the only one that wants the HUD to behave this way, but there isn't a work around to get what I want unless I'm missing something.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Jensen said:

I need to be able to see, for example, where the mute tool is. It isn't immediately apparent to me which of those buttons contain it.

Edited by Canopus
Re-reading your posts I realize my suggestion was only a partial solution.

On 9/22/2019 at 2:13 PM, scook said:

While waiting for this change (or until the options become more familiar) consider using the tools module in the Control Bar. Right-clicking does not collapse the tools module.

TgdTKmx.gif

Yeah, I always knew I could do that. I just like the HUD because it's right there where I'm looking on the screen. Thanks for making the suggestion though!