Backing tracks; betting them to an equal level for gigs

RICHARD HUTCHINS

52 minutes ago, RICHARD HUTCHINS said:

Making the adjustments with the Master fader doesn't seem to alter the average LUFS on the meter at all? 

make sure the LUFS meter is last in the effects chain of the master bus after the limiter. Lowering the fader won’t change the readings live. So use the master bus Gain which will. 
If my project is pushing the LUFS past my target of -14 db I lower the Masters gain and reset the meter as I try different amounts until it’s good. 
This also results in the limiter having less work to do. 
Sometimes I lower each sub bus by exactly the same amount instead. 
Make sure to mute the master to check nothing is bypassing it. 

• Like 1

adjust the level for the project. basically turning the volume up or down.

assuming all your audio is ending up on your master buss, one option is to create a "print" buss and feed it off the master using a send. set the print buss output to none (to avoid increasing the monitoring level).

this should be quick to do (2-3 mins) and non-destructive.

tracks + busses ---> master (as normal) ->  (add) pre-fader send ---> (new) "print" buss (output = off) w/ YouLean meter

then export using "print" instead of master.

your listening level is now  controlled by the master volume, and the print buss output will be the export source. (setting the print buss output to none means the sound on that buss won't add to the master level and cause you to hear things louder) and then you use your level meter on the print buss and adjust the send to create the desired level.