APD Offer: 67% off Palette - Symphonic Sketchpad by Red Room Audio

Audio Plugin Deals

For the next 2 weeks, get PALETTE – SYMPHONIC SKETCHPAD (powered by Kontakt Player), a 29.1 GB library featuring strings, woodwinds, brass, choir, percussions, pianos, harp and even a set of modern trailer instruments. The orchestral ensembles offer a wide variety of articulations, including 4 kinds of short notes, as well as trills, tremolo, pizzicato, and other deeper techniques. Check signature for links.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

Not at all trying to talk this one down because it sounds really good, but I'm a little confused: a sketchpad to me sounds like something fairly comprehensive but lightweight, so someone can put down ideas quickly without worrying about library loading times; that said, 26 GB seems like quite a large library.

Edited by antler

I have Symphonic Sketchpad. It's not bad at all, and is pretty much exactly what it says it is: a sketchpad for orchestral ideas.

The sounds are decent and useable, including some minor gems -- the piano is quite nice, for example. The sounds are fairly dry, and the mix of microphones are quite useful for blending this library with others. The interface is quite configurable and easy to use.

It's pretty efficiently put together, and you've got everything you need to make fairly comprehensive sketches with it. I sort of look on it as a really no-frills Albion ONE (well, kind of...), and plan to use it on my laptop when I travel.

I doubt it will ever make a regular appearance in the orchestral template on my main DAW -- I have too many glossier and more specialized libraries to draw from. But when I visit my parents in Florida, or whatever, I can see this being a really useful tool for working on new music ideas. It sounds good enough that you could make some pretty nice sketches with it, and it's fast and easy to use. I like to write music really quickly and with minimal fuss, and Sketchpad has been pretty good at that, so far.  

For what it's worth, at $99 its great. I would have  been somewhat unhappy if I'd paid $299.

As always, YMMV...

Edited by Robert Caley
  • Like 1