Jump to content
puddy

Waveform 10 Free

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, abacab said:

That is Waveform 8 (no chord track existed in Waveform until version 9). The track you see named "Chord" in the video is just Track 1 that he labeled "Chord", to contain his chord pattern MIDI clips.

Later in the video you will notice that he has done  the same with the "Bass" and "Melody" tracks after he inserts the MIDI clips.

He uses a different pattern generator (i.e. Chords, Bass, Melody) with each of these clips, and has named the tracks accordingly.

I have Waveform 8 and 9, but not this free version, and I would assume the pattern generator works the same in the free version if they bothered to include it.

Yes, you can export your MIDI tracks as MIDI files from Waveform. Since that is a core function of the DAW, it would not make any sense to limit that.

If this interests you, it is free to try, so why not grab it? The Waveform installer itself should be rather small without all of the bundled content of the full version. My "Waveform 9 (64-bit).exe" installed program is only 66MB.

 

I may do that, but it did not interest me until the discovery of the "chord/song" building functions you pointed out.  Installing software is more than just the size, instaling and uninstalling things can start to have a trickle effect in computer performance depending on the way a compay handles the process, therefore I only install when I beleive there is an expected value out of a program.  

Appreciate the feedback.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't want to learn yet another DAW you might want to consider Captain Chords. 

https://mixedinkey.com/captain-plugins/

It's slightly more EDM centric than perhaps you'd like but it's become my favorite play with chords and rhythms without doing a lot of work tool.  They don't list it but it works fine in Cakewalk (better than in Cubase actually, the resize works in CbB).  The Windows version of Captain Melody may still be a beta.  But I've been using it without a lot of headaches for a while now though.  I guess the big downside is you have to be online -- copy protection requires a net connection or something.  Doesn't effect me so I haven't cared, but if you are purely offline it might.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sprung for Waveform 8 Basic for $26.70 a couple of years ago. I really have had almost no use for it--so free might be a reasonable price for an upgrade--but not if this is an even more basic version than Basic. In what ways is this "free" version crippled?

In fairness if you are a loop style composer this might be something for you.

PS was anyone actually paying  $386.00 for Waveform 10 Basic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

If you don't want to learn yet another DAW you might want to consider Captain Chords. 

https://mixedinkey.com/captain-plugins/

It's slightly more EDM centric than perhaps you'd like but it's become my favorite play with chords and rhythms without doing a lot of work tool.  They don't list it but it works fine in Cakewalk (better than in Cubase actually, the resize works in CbB).  The Windows version of Captain Melody may still be a beta.  But I've been using it without a lot of headaches for a while now though.  I guess the big downside is you have to be online -- copy protection requires a net connection or something.  Doesn't effect me so I haven't cared, but if you are purely offline it might.

Thanks, aware of Captain Chords, but $80 is way out of line with what I'd be willing to pay.

Have EzKeys, which I got for about $29.  Would certainly like something with an improved workflow, but $80 isn't going to do it for me at this time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Installing software is more than just the size, instaling and uninstalling things can start to have a trickle effect in computer performance depending on the way a compay handles the process, therefore I only install when I beleive there is an expected value out of a program.  

Uninstalling just takes a few minutes, and does not leave scars on your computer. More to the point, the time it takes to figure out how to use new software is the major cost of anything new. If you spend a couple of dozen hours figuring out that the software is not really going to be useful, that is time you will never be able to buy back at any price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought Waveform 8 basic a couple of years ago when  I was looking for something with creative MIDI tools that did not exist in Sonar.

I had loaded up demos of Cubase Elements, FL Studio, and Waveform.

FL Studio turned me off right away, and so I uninstalled it. Then I struggled with the learning curve of Cubase just to access the chord track and the circle of fifths assistance.

Then I tried the demo of Waveform, and in 30 minutes I had a jamming multi-track project that I was having fun with. Disclaimer: I just use Waveform for MIDI, so the mixing workflow is not something I am interested in.

Waveform is pretty much self contained, and doesn't install a bunch of crap like Steinberg has a habit of doing. The uninstaller is very clean. So not much risk in that regard, and it is also light on the system. The brains behind Waveform is Julian Storer, the original Tracktion developer and also creator of the JUCE framework that Tracktion software is based on. He is also a software architect at ROLI. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JUCE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, slartabartfast said:

I sprung for Waveform 8 Basic for $26.70 a couple of years ago. I really have had almost no use for it--so free might be a reasonable price for an upgrade--but not if this is an even more basic version than Basic. In what ways is this "free" version crippled?

In fairness if you are a loop style composer this might be something for you.

PS was anyone actually paying  $386.00 for Waveform 10 Basic?

 Working with audio loops is the worst thing in this DAW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, slartabartfast said:

I sprung for Waveform 8 Basic for $26.70 a couple of years ago. I really have had almost no use for it--so free might be a reasonable price for an upgrade--but not if this is an even more basic version than Basic. In what ways is this "free" version crippled?

In fairness if you are a loop style composer this might be something for you.

PS was anyone actually paying  $386.00 for Waveform 10 Basic?

   The pricing is not that great for what it is, also few updates between releases.  I've had a license ever since it came out.  V9 is it for me. I never use it. 

Edited by kitekrazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Thanks, aware of Captain Chords, but $80 is way out of line with what I'd be willing to pay.

Have EzKeys, which I got for about $29.  Would certainly like something with an improved workflow, but $80 isn't going to do it for me at this time.  

There are other 3rd party stuff like Cthulhu, Auto Theory, and another one by W.A.  I forget how many of these things I have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

There are other 3rd party stuff like Cthulhu, Auto Theory, and another one by W.A.  I forget how many of these things I have. 

I have all of those and then some.  Some are better than others but nothing in the sub-$30 dollar range would I classify as improving workflow.  Even at the sky is the limit end of the pricing spectrum (Cubase Pro/Orb Composer S/Rapid Composer) you really don't get much in the way of really improving workflow.  I only mention Captain Chords because it really does seem to replace all the functionality Waveform has in a DAW neutral way.

There are a some free plugins that can help with various things though, the stuff from https://www.codefn42.com is very good.  The pizMidi stuff is also pretty nice https://code.google.com/archive/p/pizmidi/

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, slartabartfast said:

Uninstalling just takes a few minutes, and does not leave scars on your computer. More to the point, the time it takes to figure out how to use new software is the major cost of anything new. If you spend a couple of dozen hours figuring out that the software is not really going to be useful, that is time you will never be able to buy back at any price.

Instaling and Uninstalling software can leave, scars.  Lets just say I know more than the average person in this area (though I'm not a full blown expert in that particular area of computer science), if you are not familiar with this, especially with software that can require authrizaiton methods you might want to either do more research in the area or just remain blissfull.  Not all software leaves such scars, but this is pretty small time software, so I'm betting it would take way more time than I'd be willing to commit to looking into how the particualr software operates.  

 

Ever wonder why you can't just uninstall and reinstall software to start a trial over again?  Pretty basic stuff...it leaves things behind that are (usually) not easy to get rid of.  And the more software you install and uninstall, the more of those leftovers you have.  And that doesn't even touch on other things that can get left behind.

Edited by Brian Walton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Learning how to make system images can remove the fear from your life of trying new things on the computer. No more risk! :D

Don't like it??? Roll back in minutes!!! Priceless!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, abacab said:

Learning how to make system images can remove the fear from your life of trying new things on the computer. No more risk! :D

Don't like it??? Roll back in minutes!!! Priceless!!!

 Those are called Windows (f)Updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...