Waveform 10 Free

puddy

39 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Well done Matt!

Normally I'm loath to "undercut" the computer magazines, if they want people to enter words from specific pages I won't share those or if each copy has a unique code.  But in this case they didn't do anything to connect access to this free version with the purchase of the magazine, which kind of devalues my buying it.  I fully expect Tracktion to start offering this free version to everyone as soon as the various music magazines have ran their exclusives.

The free version seems to be missing a few of the things I was actually interested in (chord tracks).  Here's the list of what is missing from a post on KvR
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=530966&start=37

From that post:

- Melodyne
- AutoTune
- Groove Dr
- Actions panel
- Edit groups
- Track snapshots
- Track editor
- Subtractive
- Artisan collection
- Drum sampler
- Macros
- Modifiers (except LFO)
- Faceplates
- Chord track
- Multi sampler
- Master mix

There are no track or plugin count limits in Waveform Free.

• Like 2

I would get it just for the MIDI clip pattern generator! :D

From another post over at KVR:

This is what Woody said on Facebook:

"We are moving away from using old versions of the DAW for the free version - everything is now running on the current codebase so we can give folk a better experience - gets all the benefits of the most current OS support and bug fixes etc."

"Feature wise, its similar to W8 but with some cool additions to round out the experience."

According to the CM article, the "cool additions" include Vertical Mixer Panel, Enhanced MIDI Editor, Track Loops, Track Presets, MPE support, Range Selection Editing, Quick Render, improvements to stability, autosave, crash recovery, and more besides (all their capitals). And "the nifty new MIDI Clip Pattern Generator"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Normally I'm loath to "undercut" the computer magazines, if they want people to enter words from specific pages I won't share those or if each copy has a unique code.  But in this case they didn't do anything to connect access to this free version with the purchase of the magazine, which kind of devalues my buying it.  I fully expect Tracktion to start offering this free version to everyone as soon as the various music magazines have ran their exclusives.

The free version seems to be missing a few of the things I was actually interested in (chord tracks).  Here's the list of what is missing from a post on KvR
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=530966&start=37

From that post:

- Melodyne
- AutoTune
- Groove Dr
- Actions panel
- Edit groups
- Track snapshots
- Track editor
- Subtractive
- Artisan collection
- Drum sampler
- Macros
- Modifiers (except LFO)
- Faceplates
- Chord track
- Multi sampler
- Master mix

There are no track or plugin count limits in Waveform Free.

Wihtout those things (especially chord track), I'm not sure it would be worth the time, not seeing anyting that would enhance what BandLab gifted everyone for free.

16 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Wihtout those things (especially chord track), I'm not sure it would be worth the time, not seeing anyting that would enhance what BandLab gifted everyone for free.

It s great daw for ideas and inspiration but when it comes to mixing , a pain ....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zo said:

It s great daw for ideas and inspiration but when it comes to mixing , a pain ....

I could make that case for any DAW.   This one is on the cut list.  The workflow totally blows for me.  It's one of those DAWs I can't really get into.  Also to me it's pricey for a license for what it is. 

56 minutes ago, Zo said:

Without the tools mentioned that are not included, in what way does it help you put down/come up with ideas/insipiration.  

I could see what with the Chord Track (which is't included), but the comparisoin is to Cakewalk, what idea/production tools does this free version include that are superior/easier to create with?  That is what I'm curious about.

Without that, seems like a waste of Hard Drive space and time dedicated to learning the product.  Only positive I'm aware of is cross platform abilites which Cakewalk lacks for those that are not Windows centric.  

I live in a non-Apple world personally.  

15 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Without the tools mentioned that are not included, in what way does it help you put down/come up with ideas/insipiration.  

I could see what with the Chord Track (which is't included), but the comparisoin is to Cakewalk, what idea/production tools does this free version include that are superior/easier to create with?  That is what I'm curious about.

Without that, seems like a waste of Hard Drive space and time dedicated to learning the product.  Only positive I'm aware of is cross platform abilites which Cakewalk lacks for those that are not Windows centric.  

You can't do this in CbB. This is included in Waveform.

In addition to Cakewalk, I also use Logic Pro X, Reaper and Cubase.  I came across Tracktion a few years ago and was content at the time to just play around with it.  I expected that I would quickly cast it aside but surprisingly I began to take a liking to it's quirky interface and workflow so I never entirely did.  Things changed when Waveform 9 came out with the chord track.  I never really thought I would make use of this kind of tool in my workflow, but at the time I thought at the bare minimum it might help me better organize the structure of my music.  Turns out along with the MIDI pattern generators, I found it to be a fun and useful tool to create progressions and quickly generate some MIDI content which then gave way to further musical inspiration.

This free version obviously does not feature the chord track but it does allows you to experiment with different chord progressions and generate and tweak content via the MIDI pattern generator (Chords, Arpeggio, Bass, Melody).  Unfortunately although somewhat controversial among DAW users, these music theory aids are absent from Cakewalk at present.  Of course there are numerous 3rd party utilities and plug-ins that provide this functionality for additional cost.  Not only is Waveform cross platform, but it's relatively light weight, so it shouldn't burden your system should you be interested in experimenting with it.

I can attest to the fact that previous versions have been somewhat buggy and prone to crash.  But then again, I've experienced this in most DAWs depending on which plug-ins I'm using. 

Waveform 10 Free can be authorized off-line.  You login and go to generate the offline file and in this case I had to select "Waveform".  If this answers the question.

Regards,

G

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

I didn t knew it was a cut down version , waist of time , space and cluterred user area for nothing ... the worst thing is now if somebody wants those options , how to get those easily ? I m not talking aboutvme but about who gonna buy my whole traktion account , witch is on sale if anybody interested lol ....

1 hour ago, abacab said:

You can't do this in CbB. This is included in Waveform.

That is cool and something BandLab really should integrate.  I've long said a tool like this is far more useful than some random feature enhancement to bridge the gap between beginner and advance composer/daw user.

Question though, the start clearly shows the Chord Track (which mentioned above is not included in this free version.  Does the entierty of this Pattern Generator work in the free version, and can the MIDI then be exported as a MIDI file?

Thank you!

32 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Question though, the start clearly shows the Chord Track (which mentioned above is not included in this free version.  Does the entierty of this Pattern Generator work in the free version, and can the MIDI then be exported as a MIDI file?

Thank you!

That is Waveform 8 (no chord track existed in Waveform until version 9). The track you see named "Chord" in the video is just Track 1 that he labeled "Chord", to contain his chord pattern MIDI clips.

Later in the video you will notice that he has done  the same with the "Bass" and "Melody" tracks after he inserts the MIDI clips.

He uses a different pattern generator (i.e. Chords, Bass, Melody) with each of these clips, and has named the tracks accordingly.

I have Waveform 8 and 9, but not this free version, and I would assume the pattern generator works the same in the free version if they bothered to include it.

Yes, you can export your MIDI tracks as MIDI files from Waveform. Since that is a core function of the DAW, it would not make any sense to limit that.

If this interests you, it is free to try, so why not grab it? The Waveform installer itself should be rather small without all of the bundled content of the full version. My "Waveform 9 (64-bit).exe" installed program is only 66MB.

Edited by abacab