Eyes to the Ground - Updated Mix

Kevin Walsh

Update: 

After all the great feedback I rolled up my sleeves and got busy fixing stuff, but while I was at it,  a very powerful storm blew through and we lost power. When it came back all my final mix settings were wiped out and I had to re-mix from scratch. I'm not sure if it's better or not, I just know some stuff is different. I've also brought the kick and the hats in, but because of my service-related hearing loss, I can't really hear the hats at all so if there are any issues with the levels, please help a brother out with the trial and error process of getting it right! Thanks again for all your help!

Kevin

New mix:

Original post:

Well, after a very long hiatus I finally got back in the saddle and wrote a new tune. Unfortunately I find that my ears are getting kind of ragged with respect to hearing the full spectrum clearly. Certain frequencies are getting pretty hard for me to hear and mixing is becoming a pretty tough undertaking. So I'm turning to you guys to tell me if this is in the ballpark. Is this a balanced tune?  Any  problems with the mix?  Thanks!

Edited by Kevin Walsh
new mix
  • Like 3

The only thing I'm not hearing is the hi-hat or ride cymbal. Kick, snare and bass are all well defined.
Otherwise I think its balanced just fine.
If I'm producing this one, I'd let the guitar and/or bass fade into the vocal on the breakdown at 2:38.
Or fade out and bring the vocal in a moment or two later; just kind of an abrupt change there.
Just me.
I know how it is "trusting" these ears that have been abused over the years; I feel for ya.
Print it, move on, certainly nothing glaringly "wrong" with your mix.

Tom

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

The only thing I'm not hearing is the hi-hat or ride cymbal. Kick, snare and bass are all well defined.
Otherwise I think its balanced just fine.
If I'm producing this one, I'd let the guitar and/or bass fade into the vocal on the breakdown at 2:38.
Or fade out and bring the vocal in a moment or two later; just kind of an abrupt change there.
Just me.
I know how it is "trusting" these ears that have been abused over the years; I feel for ya.
Print it, move on, certainly nothing glaringly "wrong" with your mix.

Tom

I thought of doing exactly that, Tom, thank you for the use of your ears, lol.

You have gotten good feedback so far .

At first I listened w cans and then over my monitors ...

I preferred listening  over the speakers for sure ...your using so many clean sounds on the gtrs .while listening  over the cans they sound alright   .

They sound even better over the speakers .  I can hear and feel the subtle punch of moving air ( In the whole song w all instruments )

Pretty cool song I want to hear where you take it .

all the best,

Kenny

Hi Kevin, 

Nice song you have there.  

Fun one to listen to.  

Only things I noticed was that there was some static that came in (very brief but a couple of times) starting at about the 30 second mark.  

I think it was in the vocals, but I'm not sure.  

Also the kick was rather quiet (I'm a "kickman" myself...LOL)..  Just me I guess.

Otherwise, great start!  Keep on pluggin away.  Would LOVE to hear the final outcome of this.  

Like I said, was a fun one to listen to.

Kevin,

Your mix is pretty good.   I like the song , playing, production, etc...    I think if you push the HiHats up bit and bring out the kick a bit more  (more punch) you will have a winner.   The guitars, vocals, stereo field, etc.. all sound good.   Reminds me of some early Tom Petty.

Regards

Hey, Kevin,

This is a dynamite song!😀

Really well written and performed, with great vocals and a wide, clean sounding mix.  I really like how the crystal clear guitar tone works so well against the crunch guitars, and you've got great instrument separation throughout the mix.

The guys made some great suggestions above, and I also agree about the hats and kick coming up a bit.

I also agree with Mark about the early Tom Petty and the Heartbreaks vibe.

Nice work, Kevin, really good stuff!👍😀

Have a good one!
Bob

On 9/23/2019 at 1:26 PM, markno999 said:

Kevin,

Your mix is pretty good.   I like the song , playing, production, etc...    I think if you push the HiHats up bit and bring out the kick a bit more  (more punch) you will have a winner.   The guitars, vocals, stereo field, etc.. all sound good.   Reminds me of some early Tom Petty.

Regards

Thank you, Mark, appreciate the listen and the advice and the awesome comparison to early Petty. I don't hear it myself and I wasn't going for that but it's still awesome to hear. :)

13 hours ago, Bob Oister said:

Hey, Kevin,

This is a dynamite song!😀

Really well written and performed, with great vocals and a wide, clean sounding mix.  I really like how the crystal clear guitar tone works so well against the crunch guitars, and you've got great instrument separation throughout the mix.

The guys made some great suggestions above, and I also agree about the hats and kick coming up a bit.

I also agree with Mark about the early Tom Petty and the Heartbreaks vibe.

Nice work, Kevin, really good stuff!👍😀

Have a good one!
Bob

Hey Bob, really appreciate your input and I'm glad you like it. I guess the hats/kick feedback is pretty much unanimous, I'll have to get on that soon. Another Petty comparison, wow. I'm going to have to go listen to some early Tom Petty to see what you guys are talking about. Thanks so much for the feedback!

• Kevin Walsh changed the title to Eyes to the Ground - Updated Mix