Chris Hein Horns Compact on sale

Fleer

I'd love to hear what people think about this.  The full version is way too expensive and this compact version seems too cheap by comparison.  How does it compare to Broadway Lites and NI Session Horns Pro?  I think perhaps what I really want is a really good solo trumpet (and not a full bass/wind section).  Thinking about getting the Realitone one.  I don't have any Chris Hein instruments but they do seem to be well liked, even if the GUI seems a bit dated.

• Great Idea 1

Chris Hein's instruments are very well done. Lots of articulations to let you put together a pretty real sounding track. This compact version is missing a bunch of those articulations, so it's a whole lot less flexible than the complete instrument set. Session Horns Pro is easier to use, but it limits what you can do by that very simplicity.

Dan

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

I have this, and I think it's only going to sound good in a big busy mix. When you use these in any small combo, or God forbid, solo contexts, they to me sound really synthy and fake.

The price is cheap, bUT maybe look at Vintage Horns 2, Hollywood Pop Brass, or there used to be one called I think Antique Brass. Another winner is 8dio's Euphonium.

Best of luck, brass is the toughest nut to crack.

I bought them some years ago when they were on sale. IMO they sound fantastic if you finetune the velocity and duration for each note, but that requires a lot of patience! I used them for some solo duos, but with background accompaniment.

I'm not sure why this thread came back to life (is there a sale on the Chris Hein Horns?) but just for the record I ended up buying both Chris Hein Horns Compact and Broadway Lites.  Niether of them do I think is all that great.  Both are kind of synthy and not in a good way.  And they both have the baggage that their Kontakt instrument skins/UI/controls aren't very modern/updated. 

Sadly with pretty much every horn library you are going to have to play the mod wheel and tweak notes specifically.  While I don't think these two are that great, I also haven't found something else I think is much better either.  These may be the very best available, but that doesn't mean they are all that good either.

29 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Sadly with pretty much every horn library you are going to have to play the mod wheel and tweak notes specifically.

That was my first thought as well after reading all the feedback here. You need to make use of all that articulations to make it sound convincing and not artificial. Won't work well by simply triggering notes.