Adding Instruments One At A Time To Mix

HappyRon Hill

I am often told that I shouldn't start will all instruments in a track but often should add them in as song progresses.  I have a song: 

where I have two guitars playing one left and right and I think I want to try starting off with just one playing (and probably keep the centered drums and bass) but am worried that it will make the track sound unbalanced with it just coming out of one side.  Is it standard practice to more center an instrument at first and then move it to one side when the 2nd one comes in. 

Anyone know of any good tutorials on bringing in one instrument at time? 

• Like 1

Happy Ron,

The song sounds good, however is that how you want it?

From your post, you mention trying out the intro with just one guitar playing...

I would try it , but if you do try putting it a bit more center until the other guitar (or vocals) come in.

Also, nothing wrong with trying stuff (time permit)...  You can try breaking down the drums in the beginning (making it a bit longer intro).

But that all depends on what you're going for (and what lengths you're willing to experiment with it).

Like I said though.  It's a good song.  Nothing wrong with leaving it just the way it is too...