Key Switches vs Individual tracks For Articulations

SloHand Solo

What's the concensus on using key switches vs individual tracks for articulations, like with CineStrings, for example.  So far I've only used key switching, but alternatively I see a lot of layouts with a ton of tracks and track folders containing the articulations tracks for each instrument.

Is there any kind of workflow or anganization advantages, or us it just more of a preference thing.

Why not use Articulation Maps?   They'll do the key switching for you, and are far easier to use in the PRV.

Once your articulation maps are defined,  you can even extract your existing key switches from your MIDI track it'll create the articulations for you.

CreativeSauce does a great tutorial here:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

Why not use Articulation Maps?   They'll do the key switching for you, and are far easier to use in the PRV.

Once your articulation maps are defined,  you can even extract your existing key switches from your MIDI track it'll create the articulations for you.

CreativeSauce does a great tutorial here:

Oh no, I've built some complex articulation maps and isn't what I'm referring to.

What I want to know is, for the composers who set up their articulations in different tracks COMPARED to using articulation maps or keys switches, which are the same.  I want to know if it's more convincing having all the tracks, if it helps with the work flow and composition, or if it's just a preference thing.

The only reason I can think of for not using Articulation Maps is if you wish to have multiple articulations playing at that same time.

Personally, I prefer using Articulation Maps - just remember to set the Chase modes to “Full” (They are set to “CCs by default” )

Edited by Promidi
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Promidi said:

The only reason I can think of for not using AMs is if you wish to have multiple articulations playing at that same time.

You can have multiple articulations playing at the same time if you've set the articulation maps up properly.

Articulations that are mutually exclusive (i.e. they cancel each other out) should be in the same group.  If you have an articulation that can be played at the same time as another, it should be in a separate group.

Different groups appear on separate articulation lanes.

• Like 3