Cable wrapping the correct way

craigb

Mesh's cable thread reminded me that, maybe, some of you haven't heard of this technique.  It makes cable management much easier by removing knots.  You can literally throw the cable out in front of you without having it tangle.  Note that I don't recommend throwing audio cables out in front of you, but power cords are perfect for this!

One of many nice YouTube videos on the technique.  I can tell you from experience that you'll probably need to practice this for a while before it becomes second-nature.  But it's worth the effort! 🙂

• Great Idea 3

1 hour ago, Mesh said:

FYI, I've only been 'overworked'....:o

Don't worry, I've been underpaid enough for both of us.

Oh, btw it's your round then Moneybags.

And the next time....

And the next time.....

And the next time......

And the time after that.....

And the time after that......

And the time after that........

And so on.......

• Haha 1

Cool Craig! I remember being shown this by a roadie back in 76' when I when to help load after a gig cuz it was late.  They didn't like us helping but if we had to to he said I needed to do it right so he didn't have to deal with what I did at the next set up. Anyway I've used it ever since. I'll always remember that guy. It brought back some great flashback memories.  You know, roadie party in the room thingy after ya get back to the hotel.  to be that young again ..

2 hours ago, paulo said:

I thought it was more a case of.....

Employed

Craig

😀

Oh I'm definitely not under-employed!  It's just that start-ups usually don't make a lot of money right away (unless you're getting political kick-backs - yeah, I went there!  - note that my issue with this happened in 2012, so I'm almost over it 😏). 

On 9/16/2019 at 10:35 AM, Hidden Symmetry said:

...Think it was called the over under technique.

I've always heard it called "the roadie wrap". But I'm always shocked at how few roadies know it or use it.

Like Brian, this technique has become so second-nature to me that I have to make a conscious effort to not roll a cable this way.  Which is kinda silly when it's a 3-foot patch cord.

• Haha 1

*Looks at Dave's post...* 🙄

*Thinks "Good!  It's not just me!"* 😆

While walking in a park near my house, I saw a guy breaking down a small band's gear and he wrapped up about a 20' cable in a continuous circle around his arm, then proceeded to loop an end around and tie it together - pulling it tight.  I had to resist the urge to run up there and slap him!  LOL.

15 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Photographic memory😂
Which could be bad if you see your parents in the act and keep seeing that image in your mind😆

Someone I used to know had a married aunt who was actually only a couple of years older than him and his wife, so they were at more or less the same stage of life and thus had a lot in common so the two couples spent a fair amount of time together. One evening at his aunt's house she asked them if they liked watching adult movies and as it seemed clear that his aunt and uncle did they said that they did too mostly because it somehow seemed less embarrassing to say that they didn't in the company of the clear enthusiasts. They didn't want to appear prudish.This was the aunt's cue to whack a tape in the VCR and press play..................

It was an amateur film and the "stars" looked very familiar.................................

1a826f15d0827e96ec9aac47dd08f1a3bead2349

Edited by paulo
  • Haha 1