Vintage VC 64

Frank DeFede

I have some mixes that I created that I had the Vintage VC-64 Plug in.  I believe it was in Sonar 6.  It no longer comes up now when I open the songs in the latest version I have of Bandlab.  Is there a way to get it back?  I used it on the master channel and did master mixes with it.  without it my mixes sound very weak.

Or is there a new and better plug in already available that I can use on the master channel?

Thanks

If you can remember what settings you used, you can try replicating the effects with the included ProChannel modules. Almost everything the old XX-64 series does can be replicated with them. I say almost, because there isn't a good replacement for the expander processors that you can readily get anymore. (Unless you bought the ProChannel module before the Gibson shutdown happened.)

1 hour ago, Karmamechanic said:

I've had results I like with Native Instruments Supercharger. I think it's free. Different character than the VC64, so not sure if it will work for your stuff. Worked well for me with light compression and in parallel. I'm looking for an optical comp vst to take the place of VC64.

You could look out for when Scheps Omni Channel goes on sale again, it can do FET, VCA and Opto Compression, as well as Saturation, Gate/Expanding, EQ and De-essing

There's also this:

Edited by Freyja Grimaude-Valens

• 10 months later...
On 9/16/2019 at 6:39 PM, scook said:

VC64 is a 32bit plug-in last bundled with SONAR X2.

To add old SONAR plug-ins run the SONAR installer, select the 64bit option then selected the advanced install option and select the plug-ins to install.

@scook I already had SONAR Platinum installed when I installed CbB and I understand why plugins I'm looking for for a 2010 project (VC64 & LP64) are missing and I'd like to install them if it's not too much of a problem. What's not clear to me is: Do I need to uninstall and reinstall SONAR to add these programs or can I run the installer with SONAR installed and pick the additional items I want to install?

There is no need to uninstall anything.

Run an advanced install of 64bit X2 or older (the advanced option is a couple of screens into the install) then select the VC64 and LP64 from the plug-in pick list provided by the installer.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 4:39 PM, scook said:

VC64 is a 32bit plug-in last bundled with SONAR X2.

To add old SONAR plug-ins run the SONAR installer, select the 64bit option then selected the advanced install option and select the plug-ins to install.

Also, due to issues with the developer, this is not something you should expect to see upgraded to 64 bit any time soon.

On 8/15/2020 at 6:46 PM, scook said:

There is no need to uninstall anything.

Run an advanced install of 64bit X2 or older (the advanced option is a couple of screens into the install) then select the VC64 and LP64 from the plug-in pick list provided by the installer.

Thanks I tried that and it worked fine. Really easy. Haven't loaded project yet to see if I can load the plugins and the plugin settings in the project work. I also loaded a few other things thinking they might be interesting to use some time. All but three seem to have installed properly. 

FX2 Amp Simulator seems to be an (.Ax). Is that an older now obsolete format?

Also I can't find the MIDI Groove Clips I ticked or the DSP-FX StudioVerb. Any idea where I might find these?

20 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

Also, due to issues with the developer, this is not something you should expect to see upgraded to 64 bit any time soon.

Yes. I understand. I'm just trying to get the project to play the way it did when I originally mixed it to give me a starting point for a new mix. And the other older things I installed are just in case they might give me just the sound I'm looking for on some song sometime.🤣

13 minutes ago, Bill Phillips said:

FX2 Amp Simulator seems to be an (.Ax). Is that an older now obsolete format?

It's pretty old but the 64bit version still loads in CbB

13 minutes ago, Bill Phillips said:

I ticked or the DSP-FX StudioVerb. Any idea where I might find these?

This series of DX plug-ins were never ported to 64bit. They cannot be used in CbB or any 64bit host.

Having a 32bit version of SONAR installed can ease transitioning old project to 64bit by allowing the projects to load all their 32bit plug-ins.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, scook said:

It's pretty old but the 64bit version still loads in CbB

This series of DX plug-ins were never ported to 64bit. They cannot be used in CbB or any 64bit host.

Thanks again. I'll try to find the 64 bit version of the amp simulator. I don't think it loaded with X2.