Recommendations for a quality, free pitch shifter VST?

KyRo

Hi, all. I'm looking for a decent quality, free (or cheap) pitch shifter VST for Cakewalk for use with voice-over recordings. I tried it with Melodyne, but I don't think it's designed for such extremes, as the resulting audio comes out very phasey sounding. I'd appreciate any recommendations!

Byron's not wrong.

Question though.  Do you have any headphone bleed from background music or other sounds that you're doing the VO on?  If so, that bleed will do funny stuff when you start messing with any pitch correction software.  Especially when it mixes back in with the original background source material.

3 hours ago, Mr. Jam said:

Try Kilohearts free pitshifter https://kilohearts.com/products/kilohearts_essentials

That'll do the trick, Mr. Jam. Thanks! Another decent option that I found was RoVee, but I think the Kilohearts one is a little cleaner sounding.

Out of curiosity, have you tried any of their other plugins? I kind of like the stripped-down look of them.

4 hours ago, HOOK said:

Byron's not wrong.

Question though.  Do you have any headphone bleed from background music or other sounds that you're doing the VO on?  If so, that bleed will do funny stuff when you start messing with any pitch correction software.  Especially when it mixes back in with the original background source material.

No headphone bleed (because no background music, just straight VO), but the room we recorded in wasn't the cleanest, acoustically speaking, so that may have contributed to the weird tone Melodyne was giving me. Nevertheless, Mr. Jam's recommendation worked for my needs. Thanks for the input though.

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2023 at 10:44 AM, KyRo said:

Out of curiosity, have you tried any of their other plugins? I kind of like the stripped-down look of them.

I consider them to be, as their name suggests, essential. The one I use the most is KHs Limiter, first in line on every soft synth track to prevent the output of the synth from slamming the input of any subsequent FX. So multiple instances on every project I do.

Pitch Shift is great in its straightforward approach, as are the rest.

As with the MeldaProduction FreeFX bundle, there's no reason not to have this incredibly useful collection of plug-ins installed.

On 11/28/2023 at 11:13 AM, shane said:

Not a plugin per se, but DONT FORGET you can transpose audio right in Cakewalk. You just have to select "transpose audio" in the drop down. 

Surprisingly good results, depending on your audio source. 

You know, I actually did overlook that. I'm not sure if I once knew about it and forgot, or if I was never aware of it. But thanks for the tip! Another decent option.