Focusrite solo 3rd gen

da40

Hi sorry if this has been covered .

I recently bought a 3rd gen Focusrite Solo and installed the latest drivers etc .When I insert some Vst s they sound distorted .

I upgrade from a 1st gen Solo so re installed that ,all vsts sound perfect.

So I re installed 3rd  gen (guided by Focusrite support) still some of the Vsts sound distorted .

No matter which buffer size I use/sample rate it sounds exactly the same 

This happens when i have only one instance of anything open so not a resource issue .(latency Mon gives good results too)

I have tried 2 other daws and it works perfectly so not hardware issue 

Anybody got any ideas 

OS version:                                           Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17134 (x64)
Hardware:                                             ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M5A97 LE R2.0
CPU:                                                  AuthenticAMD AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor 
Logical processors:                                   8
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  16284 MB total

cheers in advance 

Edited by da40
forgot info

Which version and build number of Cakewalk do you have.

Are you using ASIO driver mode?

The following is assuming the latest Cakewalk by Bandlab

What you might want to try is, with Cakewalk closed, rename your AUD.INI file and then restart Cakewalk.  This will rebuild the AUD.INI file.

The AUD.INI file is located in the following folder:

%APPDATA%\cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

Hi sorry about delay in getting back.

right i did a fresh install of CB on a fresh Win 10 pro and i still get the distorted sounds on various VSTs 

here is Focusrite response after trying various methods to correct it.......

Thank you for the update.

It sounds like a compatibility issue with previous versions of the DAW with a new driver.

The software may not be optimized for newer functions with the ASIO driver. I would open the hardware setup in Cakewalk, and try to increase the buffer size within the ASIO control panel for the 3rd Gen.

Since you seem to have success outside of the DAW specifically, I am not certain the the driver is causing the issues more than it being a collective of the driver and the software.

I can update our case that is related to this, but it sounds like it may be a compatibility issue in the program that needs to be addressed. If you have more questions, feel free to let us know.

Thank you,

Any ideas or just wait until an update to see if it corrects it ?

You mentioned some VST sounds are distorted - can you please list some of the plugins/sounds where this is occurring?

It seems rather odd that only 'some' sounds would be distorted, if there was some sort of general issue with either the Focusrite or Cakewalk.

Additionally, for the plugins that have sounds that are messed up, if any of those can be run in stand-alone fashion, outside of Cakewalk, with the stand-alone plugin settings set to use ASIO driver mode and the Focusrite, with an ASIO Buffer Size of - perhaps - 128 samples, are the sounds still messed up?

Lastly, in your Cakewalk project, where the sounds are currently messed up, are there any effects loaded into the project?  If so, which ones?  Also, if there are effects loaded into that project, try testing the sounds with the effects temporarily bypassed (hit 'E' on your computer keyboard to toggle On/Off the bypassing of audio effects), and post back on if that made the sounds better.  (Hit 'E' again to engage the effects again, when done testing).  IF the sounds are heard correctly with the effects bypassed, then you have one or more effects that require a larger ASIO Buffer Size, and are most likely meant for mixing/mastering, and not for use during recording.

Bob Bone

21 hours ago, Promidi said:

Disable every power saving feature you can find.

What graphics card do you have? 

Have you turned off core parking (or the AMD equivalent). 

In your Power Options,  is your Minimum Processor Sate and Maximum  Processor Sate both set to 100%

Hi I have done that,graphics card is a Nvidia Gtx 1050 ,core parking turned off and power options both 100%

20 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

You mentioned some VST sounds are distorted - can you please list some of the plugins/sounds where this is occurring?

It seems rather odd that only 'some' sounds would be distorted, if there was some sort of general issue with either the Focusrite or Cakewalk.

Additionally, for the plugins that have sounds that are messed up, if any of those can be run in stand-alone fashion, outside of Cakewalk, with the stand-alone plugin settings set to use ASIO driver mode and the Focusrite, with an ASIO Buffer Size of - perhaps - 128 samples, are the sounds still messed up?

Lastly, in your Cakewalk project, where the sounds are currently messed up, are there any effects loaded into the project?  If so, which ones?  Also, if there are effects loaded into that project, try testing the sounds with the effects temporarily bypassed (hit 'E' on your computer keyboard to toggle On/Off the bypassing of audio effects), and post back on if that made the sounds better.  (Hit 'E' again to engage the effects again, when done testing).  IF the sounds are heard correctly with the effects bypassed, then you have one or more effects that require a larger ASIO Buffer Size, and are most likely meant for mixing/mastering, and not for use during recording.

Bob Bone

It seems to be all the VST with the blue band at the top (I think these are 32 bit using the bit bridge)all 64 bit work perfectly ,it happens even when there is only one VST loaded with no effects ,I have tried every combination of buffers/sample rate and it all sounds the same .

If i reconnect the Focusrite solo 1st gen everything works perfect.

if I use a different DAW (with 3rd gen Focusrite) everything works perfectly .(so not Focusrite 3rd gen)

I have fresh installed CB onto a fresh Win 10 pro ,downloaded newest drivers from FR

I'm thinking it maybe something to do with the bit bridge .(but could be wrong )

2 minutes ago, Promidi said:

In the Nvidia Control Panel | Manage 3D settings, set "Power Management Mode" to prefer Maximum Performance.

1 minute ago, Promidi said:

Have you tried Jbridge?

Done that ,I looked at J bridge but it costs ,trying to find alternative solution before i splash out on something I may not need(plus the VST work perfect with 1st gen so maybe go back to that until a solution is found)

Taking a long shot here but... Could it possibly be sample rate related ?

What sample + bit rate are you running at ? And are you running the same rates on both devices ?

There is also an issue (I believe ) in the newer releases from Focusrite for their 3rd gen devices. Many have rolled back to the originals.

1 hour ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Taking a long shot here but... Could it possibly be sample rate related ?

What sample + bit rate are you running at ? And are you running the same rates on both devices ?

There is also an issue (I believe ) in the newer releases from Focusrite for their 3rd gen devices. Many have rolled back to the originals.

yeah both sample rates are the same ,I think i will have to wait to see if an update is forthcoming but cheers anyway 

Back when folks were just starting to go 64-bit, and there were sometimes hundreds of 32-bit plugins on individual systems, MANY folks had horribly frequent crashes, myself included, and most folks have since either completely or nearly completely, shifted to all plugins being 64-bit, at which point the crashes stopped.

Most larger commercial plugins became offered in 64-bit versions, mostly as free updates, and things have been pretty much smooth sailing ever since, except for a small number of plugins just folks, myself included, just don't want to give up using, despite being 32-bit.

I would expect you have checked, but worth asking - have you checked to see if there are 64-bit versions of the 32-bit plugins you are having issues with?

Many times, even if a particular plugin does not come in a 64-bit version, there are usually multiple similar plugins that DO come in a 64-bit version, so that might be another choice, if you don't find a Focusrite update resolving your issues.

Jbridge DOES offer a free trial, and if that resolves your issues, I think it ran $20 when I bought it (years back).  I use it for a couple of specific plugins - an RMI Piano and an ARP Pro Soloist emulation.

Bob Bone

Have you also tried to export a mix of the said problem to verify its not a monitoring problem ?

A simple export will verify this immediately.

I know what your thinking.. It works on one Focusrite but it doesn't on the other Focusrite. You may have different monitoring set ups set for each interface.

CbB doesn't have a 32-bit version, so the advice on shifting to 64-bit going forward is something to highly consider. 

Also, an image of your C drive in a functional state is advised, since a simple Win10 update could knock things offline on you. With an image you can recover that situation quicker.