Cakewalk not finding VSTs

Okay, so recently (Today) I have downloaded a bunch of plugins I was really looking forward to using, but Cakewalk seems to not be recognizing any of them whatsoever. I downloaded quite a few, so when I load in an instrument track, I should see a whole lot more instruments in the list, but not a single one seems to have been added. I've tried both the plugin layouts and preferences>>File>VST Settings scanners, and neither help any. I don't think it's a bridging issue, as I have added some 64 bit and some 32 bit plugins, but I did get one scan to work for awhile, but it eventually got stuck on a plugin unrelated to what I downloaded today, and a Windows message about Teleport Server not working came up? What is going on?

Also, whenever I try to use the scanner in Plugin Layouts, it tells me that a scan is already in progress, even if I never started one and have it set to Manual Scan in VST settings...

I don't know what's going on, but I would like to be able to use my new plugins .-.

• Like 1

The Teleport Server is BitBridge used to load 32bit plug-ins.

If the scanner is is already running it is either waiting for input or hung for some other reason.

Open preferences and verify the scanner is set to manual scan in scan options

Shut down CbB

Reboot

Run CbB

Open VST Settings in preferences

Make sure "Scan in Sandbox" and "Generate Scan Log" are enabled

Run a scan from preferences

The log may help you with where the scanner gets hung.

It is best to avoid 32bit plug-ins. They can be a problem. 32bit plug-ins are either old and not maintained or the result of using an old development platform. Either way, rarely worth the effort and performance penalty.

If the "rescan" options are enabled on the VST Settings page, make sure to turn them off after running a complete scan. Leaving these option on makes the scanner work more than necessary and can leave to scan failures.

I'm having a similar issue.

Strangely enough, it seems to affect mostly Native Instruments Plugins (Both effects and instruments), but not plugins of other developers (such as xfer).

I tried rebooting, running the NI plugins standalone (which was suggested in another forum), ticking the "Scan in Sandbox" box and using the Cakewalk plugin manager (I believe that's what it was called) to scan, but nothing worked so far - Which is unfortunate, i spent a fortune on these plugins over the years and now they're just sitting there on my hard drive. 
I'm going to install plugins made by other developers later today and i'll report on how that went, I'm also going to post a scan log.

(It has to be said that yesterday was my first time ever using Bandlab, maybe I got something wrong. I'm however quite confident in my knowledge of DAWs and plugin related stuff.)

BTW,

I've read up on other people having the same issue with NI plugins in other forums and none of them found a solution that worked so far, i guess this is the right place to ask :)

Edited by Ben Schütte

Well, I ran Native Access, that didn't help.

I then tried installing all NI plugins on my C drive (which i really wanted to avoid because it's not a large drive) and badaboom badabing, 30 new plugins found :D 
Turns out xfer plugins were recognized because they were on C without me knowing (I told them to install on E but they installed on C anyway :s ).

It's really unfortunate that you can A) only install Bandlab on C and B) bandlab only recognizes plugins on C.

If a dev is reading this, please help owners of small C drives like me and let us install somewhere else :( 

TL;DR:
Install your plugins on C and you're good

Edited by Ben Schütte

Cakewalk will recognize plugins that are in the scan paths. The actual .dll files where the plugins load from tend not to be very large (as opposed to sample libraries), but Cakewalk will read them so long as you define any custom paths on the VST Settings tab of the Preferences. VST3 plugins use a convention where they globally install to C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 per the spec. Native Access allows you to choose where the VST2 install location is separate from the larger content files. 

• Like 2

@Jon Sasor Regarding uninstalling the VST plugins how should we go about it? Is it OK just to locate the plugin in it's respective folder and delete it? For instance, some of them come as Mono and Stereo versions where I would only want to keep Stereo. Also, a lot of the free ones are not that good, so they are just waste of space.

It depends on the plug-in and how it was added to the machine. Adding the plug-ins to the exclude list in the plug-in manager is the safest approach. It will not recover disk space but it the easiest to restore if something is accidentally removed from the plug-in list. The second safest approach is moving the dlls out of the scan path. Again, easier to recover from than deleting items from the disk.

When it comes to deleting from disk, usually the best approach for software that uses installers is the uninstall process in Windows Control Panel. For software without installers, delete is fine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scook said:

It depends on the plug-in and how it was added to the machine. Adding the plug-ins to the exclude list in the plug-in manager is the safest approach. It will not recover disk space but it the easiest to restore if something is accidentally removed from the plug-in list. The second safest approach is moving the dlls out of the scan path. Again, easier to recover from than deleting items from the disk.

When it comes to deleting from disk, usually the best approach for software that uses installers is the uninstall process in Windows Control Panel. For software without installers, delete is fine.

That sums it up pretty well. Depending on the plugins, some things you can delete (like freeware plugins that do not have installers). There's a couple different ways to not display things on the Cakewalk side, excluding removes it everywhere from plugin lists. You can also make custom layouts with what you actually want to see, but as mentioned those don't do anything to free disk space. 

On 1/15/2019 at 11:31 PM, Ben Schütte said:

Well, I ran Native Access, that didn't help.

I then tried installing all NI plugins on my C drive (which i really wanted to avoid because it's not a large drive) and badaboom badabing, 30 new plugins found :D 
Turns out xfer plugins were recognized because they were on C without me knowing (I told them to install on E but they installed on C anyway :s ).

It's really unfortunate that you can A) only install Bandlab on C and B) bandlab only recognizes plugins on C.

If a dev is reading this, please help owners of small C drives like me and let us install somewhere else :( 

TL;DR:
Install your plugins on C and you're good

> bandlab only recognizes plugins on C.

No so, like almost every DAW out there you have to set the path where it scans to find your VST plugins.
With Cakewalk you do this by
VSTpath1.jpg.708466aaaacbd2df29bd19acb36ed543.jpg

VSTpath2.jpg.14978681d11a8f09c24fd43b4b5dca7a.jpg

Regarding > you can A) only install Bandlab on C
If you had gone into Advanced install options when you installed the CbB you could have chosen the install location.

Edited by TheSteven