APD Offer: 82% Off Vintage Piano Bundle by REALSAMPLES

Audio Plugin Deals

Brand new deal - Vintage Piano Bundle by REALSAMPLES featuring 2 unique sounding pianos: Pianoforte and English Spinet II!

Pianoforte features an old Traugott Berndt piano from 1848 and English Spinet II features sounds from an English spinet built by Benjamin Slade in 1705. Both pianos are from REALSAMPLE’s Edition Beurmann series of museum instruments.

Listen to audio demos here:

See signature for links and more info.

• Like 1

Presets are included for HAlion®, Kontakt® (full version required) and EXS24® software samplers.

Yee-haw, I've been looking for harpsichord sounds.

I don't find the demos spectacular... The piano one is too reverbey and disconnected. It's obvious from the sound that it doesn't resonate as a uniform instrument, but I believe it could be realtime-processed to glue together better. The demo also leaves me guessing about the dynamics and how well their expressiveness scales considering the "aural incoherence".

The harpsichord sounds fine, although I've not been a fan of the English variety (Italian or French for me depending on mood, composer, or keyboardist). The disconnect is still there but it's not as disturbing due to the harpsichord's vastly more limited dynamics, which makes it easier to capture the sound. However the velocity still affects the sound on harpsichords but in a different way, and tends to depend on the build and vary according to string length. I'm glad they put some effort in capturing the key release, because for me that's an idiosyncratic part of the harpsichord sound and far too often neglected, or worse yet treated as unwanted noise and post-processed away or omitted altogether (especially the reason many synthetic harpsichord sounds are bad at harpsichords).

Overall I think these packs might be useful despite the shortcomings, i.e. something I'd actually use more than once because they can sound good if you respect what they are, use them for what they can do, and give them the help they need.