Vox AV60 Amplifier

cclarry

6 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Received my amp today, played with it for awhile.
First impressions at bedroom volumes & slightly louder in a crowded small room sitting almost on top of the amp using a BCRich Warlock (humbuckers) and Telecaster clone.

Amp is bigger / heavier than I expected - neither a  plus or minus.

1st 4 amp settings are very usable - Clean 1, Clean 2, Crunch 1, Crunch 2
Can get nice clean tones but can also get a lot dirtier than I expected.
You can set the amp so that with just your guitar's volume knob you can go from very clean/chimy to mean & nasty.
The Bass & Treble boost switch are subtle but can be helpful.

Overdrive 1, Overdrive 2, High Gain 1, High Gain 2 might be usable but in general are too noisy (hissy) for my tastes.
Will need to to play more with these and setting combinations to see if I can find the right amount of scream vs 'rumble' .

Plugged in a couple of bass guitars using mainly Clean 1  & 2 - not bad at all.

Only briefly messed with the built in FX to see if any of my foot switches would work - and they didn't really; need latching switches not momentaries. 
But it does look with the right switch you could control channel switching  & at least global FX on/off separately.

Really just scratched the surface - haven't tried the FX loop, using other guitars, pedals, or playing in a more open room.
While my initial impression is less than the 10 that the reviewer gave it (mainly due to noisy high gain settings) - I think the amp is a good deal for the price. 
It'll probably be a real versatile amp once I find the sweet spots.

After having played a bit more it's grown on me.  I can get some real nice sounds on the 
"heavy settings" with the effects.  Yes, it is a bit "too real" in the "noise" department, just
as a tube amp is, so if you are going to use those settings I highly recommend a noise gate.
And, as Steven said, for the money, it is far more "tubey" than a normal solid state amp,
and good value for the money.  I even used my acoustic on the clean settings and it was 
very nice, and THAT is good thing IMO!

9 hours ago, Original Goofball said:

The "pedal" is a BossTU-12 Chromatic Tuner.

LOL

Ahah cool , we tend to forget that synths used to be a pain to keep tuned during anwhole session lol ...

i clearly hear amp synth so i guess the Fender is in use maybe ...

11 hours ago, Zo said:

Ahah cool , we tend to forget that synths used to be a pain to keep tuned during anwhole session lol ...

i clearly hear amp synth so i guess the Fender is in use maybe ...

being totally pedantic :) - it's a TU-12H 

I've still got my  TU-12 that I bought in 1984, hundreds (thousands ?) of gigs later still works great and gets lots of use.

Edited by simon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, simon said:

being totally pedantic :) - it's a TU-12H 

I've still got my  TU-12 that I bought in 1984, hundreds (thousands ?) of gigs later still works great and gets lots of use.

Old boss / roland gear are terminators ... you ll die before they do lol

• Haha 1