Vox AV60 Amplifier

cclarry

2 hours ago, cclarry said:

Distortion is still just a bit "fizzy" for my taste

Saw same complaint from a user on some thread about the amp but he said that using an overdrive pedal (think it was a Wampler) in front with a cleaner amp setting gave him the tone that he was looking for.

• Like 1

More info...

Review @ https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/vox/av60/46093/

Vox AV60 review by JorgeElgueta
Posted Mar 13, 2017 08:03 A

Features: 8
Sound: 9
Reliability & Durability: 10
Overall Impression: 10
Reviewer's score: 9.3 Superb

Users' score: 7.5 (4 votes)

Price paid: $ 450

Purchased from: Amazon

Features — 8
Fully analog hybrid amplifier. It stands out from all other hybrid amp by having a 12ax7 in the preamp as well as in the power amp section (2 tubes total). This is NOT a modeling amp. It doesn't rely on digital boards but rather 8 fully analog and very physical circuits. Each of these circuits emulate a different classic amp, from Fenders to 5150s.

Amp models:

• Clean 1 - Fender Blackface Champ
  • Clean 2 - Fender Bassman
  • Crunch 1 - Vox AC15
  • Crunch 2 - Vox AC30
  • Overdrive 1 - Marshall Plexi
  • Overdrive 2 - Marshall JCM900
  • High Gain 1 - Soldano SLO-100
  • High Gain 2 - 5150

This model (as well as the 30 watt version) has 2 separate channels, meaning you can set each one to one amp model. These channels are footswitchable.

Controls: (each channel has its own):
Gain, bass, mids, treble, volume

Master volume for the whole amp lets you get a nice tube drive (from the channel volumes) at a low, practice friendly volume.

3 fx, one-knob-serves-all
Reverb, Delay, Chorus

The knob only adjusts the level of each FX, but you can't tweak the parameters of each FX as they are fixed, so that's one of the few downsides of this amp. Overall, the FX are high quality and sound great. 2 switches that modify the tube response, from Modern to Vintage and from Fat to bright. The amp features an AUX in and a headphone jack.

The cab is closed back and it's oddly design for a great tone. Google it for more info on the cab construction. It features one 12-inch Vox Custom Speaker. It does include an FX loop, as well as a 3 ohms output for a speaker cabinet. I will rate this category 8 just because you can't modify the FX parameters and the output is 3 ohms (what the *****, Vox?)

Sound — 9
Clean 1 and 2 are very authentic Fender recreations. While there is a tiny difference with the original fender models, you definitely can't tell this isn't a full tube amp. It does sound like it though. Very large headroom. Crunch 1 and 2 is where the amp really stands out, as Vox is perfect voicing its own products. The sound is very warm, full, and you do get that chime Vox is famous for. The gain stage sounds just like a tube amp and it has a very large headroom. I've tested this with friends and I blindfold them with an AC30 (Clean 2) and the Vox AV60 in the room and they really can't tell them apart if not for the volume the AC30 naturally possess.

OD 1 and 2, as well as hi-gain 1 and 2 are good but not great recreations, as it is not a full tube amp and it does compress the sound, giving you less headroom in these categories. Still, sounds great. Just not as great as the clean and crunch categories, where the amp really shows its strength. As far as genre goes, you can use these amp for anything from jazz to metal and get a really good tone. Just keep in mind the amp sounds best in the cleans and crunch, therefore it´s better suited for rock (and most subgenres), in my opinion. Rating it 9 because I mainly use it in the first 4 categories and it KICKS *****, but the other ones do compress the sound and are overall less authentic.

Reliability & Durability — 10
This amp throws out a healthy 60 watt. It's VERY LOUD, as it does have a valve in the power amp, so it's louder than your average digital, transistor, or hybrid amp. It's not only giggable but specifically made for gigs (within the AV series). The hardware is very sturdy and high-quality. You don't have to be too careful to keep this amp in shape, plus it doesn't have any fragile valves. I do use this as my main gigging amp. I've owned many tube amps, but I decided the tone in this one is quite good for my sound, powerful enough for any situation, AND it's lightweight. Very reliable on stage.

Overall Impression — 10
Great amp for either people that are looking to get a quality, giggable and affordable amp that sounds better than a digital one as well as for pros that are done hurling heavy equipment around. This amp is straight-forward: you take it out of the box, plug and play. No digital modeling or sitting with a giant manual to figure it out. It sure beats every other hybrid, digital and transistor amp out there, and I would say it's on par with many tube amps, with the obvious exceptions. The amp does takes FX very well through the FX loop. I play mostly rock, punk, and indie music, and I can say you will be very please upon buying this product.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"3 fx, one-knob-serves-all
Reverb, Delay, Chorus

The knob only adjusts the level of each FX, but you can't tweak the parameters of each FX as they are fixed, so that's one of the few downsides of this amp."

There is one more parameter for each effect.
If you hold the effect button and turn the knob simultaneously
you can adjust

Modulation - Speed
Delay - Time
Reverb - Time

Just FYI

I've never been a fan of this kinda one knob FX controller approach.
I have an old small Line 6 Spider amp that has one.  Can't see how anyone could use the FX live unless they were happy with using a single preset through out.

Happy that AV60 has an effect loop and is reported to play well with pedals up front as well.
Mines not due to arrive till Friday... maybe I'll trade monikers with @Anxiousmofo  till then...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

guyz anybody knows what this fender model is ? This is teh sound i'm looking for ... achieved it with a 65'fender reverb without knowing they used a fender lol i'm becoming more accurate lol ///....

image.png.f6fb9d96efed63c99ed03051e18b9017.png       

Amp 2.JPG

Edited by Zo

1 minute ago, cclarry said:

From what I can tell, it does appear to be a Shure SM-57, which
is quite common for both studio and stage

Yep this is what i meant by dynamic 57 ;) Larry if ya have time , wtach the video and spot the pedal ...i just bought (second hand) a bx Bassdude just top route my synths in (stereo , IK you're listening !!! pleaeeeeeessseee) but that pedal (if this one does it alone) makes that synth sounds wiked !!

4 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I have no idea what that is Zo...doesn't appear to be a pedal per se...

Thks Larry , anyway guyz don't forget to put amp sim in you synths ...been doing this a lot with studio one or TH3 witch alows splitting / paralell /// 

Bx stuff have impulses that can be used byapssing the amp witch is another way to give crazy depth and caracter to stuff !!

16 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I wish I could buy this but went into debt for an Axe and other stuff.  I don't play guitar much but this seems like a great 1st tube amp.

yep the deal is so great (the price of a software !!) that i wanted to jump without any gtr around lol 

• Haha 1

Received my amp today, played with it for awhile.
First impressions at bedroom volumes & slightly louder in a crowded small room sitting almost on top of the amp using a BCRich Warlock (humbuckers) and Telecaster clone.

Amp is bigger / heavier than I expected - neither a  plus or minus.

1st 4 amp settings are very usable - Clean 1, Clean 2, Crunch 1, Crunch 2
Can get nice clean tones but can also get a lot dirtier than I expected.
You can set the amp so that with just your guitar's volume knob you can go from very clean/chimy to mean & nasty.
The Bass & Treble boost switch are subtle but can be helpful.

Overdrive 1, Overdrive 2, High Gain 1, High Gain 2 might be usable but in general are too noisy (hissy) for my tastes.
Will need to to play more with these and setting combinations to see if I can find the right amount of scream vs 'rumble' .

Plugged in a couple of bass guitars using mainly Clean 1  & 2 - not bad at all.

Only briefly messed with the built in FX to see if any of my foot switches would work - and they didn't really; need latching switches not momentaries. 
But it does look with the right switch you could control channel switching  & at least global FX on/off separately.

Really just scratched the surface - haven't tried the FX loop, using other guitars, pedals, or playing in a more open room.
While my initial impression is less than the 10 that the reviewer gave it (mainly due to noisy high gain settings) - I think the amp is a good deal for the price. 
It'll probably be a real versatile amp once I find the sweet spots.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1