Not Deal Related - Guitar Advice Needed

husker

I have been playing guitar for over 50 years and have owned a lot of them. 

A long time ago I was looking for a "travel guitar." Something for a $100 or so that I could place in baggage on a plane and not worry about.  I played dozens of guitars around that price point and bought a Yamaha.

After that, I decided I wanted to have my first 12 string. I tried everything I could find at all the New York music stores.  The best one that was within my price range was a Yamaha.

At one point I decided I wanted to get an acoustic guitar I really liked, in the $300 to $500 range.  Again I went to the stores and tried everything they had in that price range.  I ended up buying a Yamaha. It was closer to $300 and nothing was close. 

In none of these situations did I go shopping for a Yamaha.  After awhile I was of course open to the brand, but I was always looking for the guitar I wanted at the price.  And I have come to believe that Yamaha is not looking to compete with Martin or Taylor--they are looking to give quality at a price point. 

A few years ago, I decided I wanted a Guitalele.  I just told my wife to buy me a $100 Yamaha one.  I never even bothered to try it.  I knew it would be good and it is.

I don't own any Yamaha electrics though, so I can't comment on them. 

On a budget for an acoustic, IMHO I don't think you can go wrong with Yamaha.

Edited by Tiger The Frog
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shopping for an acoustic guitar can be an overwhelming experience. Guitar makers use a wide range of woods, hardware, and design elements, so there are many factors, features, and specifications to consider. Before you think about brand names or body styles, consider what you will use your guitar for, and how much money you must spend. For instance, look at the reviews at https://bestelectricguitars.reviews/best-blues-guitars/ so you can get a better idea. Decent reviews, you'll get the point. You may not want to spend too much on a high-end acoustic guitar just yet. Thanks to modern manufacturing techniques, there is a wide selection of well-built, great-sounding, low- to mid-range acoustic guitars to choose from

Edited by David Collins

On 9/15/2019 at 12:52 AM, husker said:

I'm looking for advise on a decent acoustic to learn on.

While I am not pro I would like to put my few thoughts here.

Guitar is very hard instrument to check by yourself if you have never played.

The best what one can do (and I do whenever I can) try to ask experienced guitar guy to go with you to guitar shop. If one has no any familiar session/gig musician to ask even less experienced guy is better than try sound of guitar by oneself.