MIDI Legato - Portamento

sadicus

Seeking tips & tricks to get a good string Legato - Portamento.

Working with a Legato patch (Kontakt Tina Guo + default orch strings) trying to get a Portamento (slide up to the next note) effect.

Does a longer MIDI note overlap equal a longer portamento slide? I'm not really hearing a long enough "slide" to the next note, it sounds to fast.

Edited by sadicus

I can't confirm, but what I can say is i long used such style of sounds and often achieved it via this way...

if you want a long slow slide you need to start the note you're sliding to early. (as in a longer drawn out note), and adjust your slide setting so that it reaches the note on the beat you want it to.

- start the end note at the point you want the slide to begin
- adjust slide setting until you hear it reach your destination note on the correct beat

you could also potentially mess with ADSR envelope filters on whatever soft instrument you're using if available, but probably simpler to follow above method.

Hope this helps at all ( :

Pitch bend may be more useful for what you are trying.  To have Note A slide to Note B:  

Create Note A with duration = Note A duration + Note B duration.  Then draw in pitch bend at whatever slope you want so reach Note B pitch at Note B start time.  Then reset the bend at the end of Note B time.

Portamento rate (the speed of the slide) is a lot more tedious to adjust for a realistic sound.