Midi controller for Amp Sim - how to

• 1 year later...
On 9/15/2019 at 8:10 PM, Jean-Simon Blanchette said:

Thanks Gswitz, im really appreciating your help ! Ill update as soon as I get back my cool :)

/rant I guess this fellow never got back his cool and I don't blame him. I've had a similar difficulty and wasted countless hours trying to get stuff like this to work. This is just another example of poorly designed and supported software seemingly out to demonically frustrate users. No setup wizards and no essential sanity check procedures for integrating external devices. All you get is "well it depends on what you want to do blah blah blah" and "don't complain, its free software". We're told how to build a clock when all we're looking for is the time of day. I understand we're all here to try to help each other. But dead-end threads like this make me want to run back to garage band. /endrant

2 hours ago, Al Leractra said:

/rant I guess this fellow never got back his cool and I don't blame him. I've had a similar difficulty and wasted countless hours trying to get stuff like this to work. This is just another example of poorly designed and supported software seemingly out to demonically frustrate users. No setup wizards and no essential sanity check procedures for integrating external devices. All you get is "well it depends on what you want to do blah blah blah" and "don't complain, its free software". We're told how to build a clock when all we're looking for is the time of day. I understand we're all here to try to help each other. But dead-end threads like this make me want to run back to garage band. /endrant

Fwiw, I somewhat sympathize with what was said here. Over the time I was asking here on forum, several times I believe, for making audio/MIDI routing a bit more simple, streamlined or anything to help those situations. This is indeed something musicians have to face when coming straight from the music world to digital world and many of them, including me, were hitting their head on the wall of this topic as routing in Cakewalk, for someone who's not a PC literate, is a tough topic, especially in the beginning. And even after time spent on learning how to route things in Cakewalk, I often have to sit back and pull my head away from music, just to be able to focus on how things should go, how to connect, why does it still not work, what did I miss, etc. So though I understand now the full power of this software and how much it let us achieve technically, I still feel where the frustration is coming from when dealing with routing, lurking back into manuals and troubleshooting instead of making music right away.

Edited by chris.r

I think on most DAW software it is this way on one part or several parts of the software. I don't know if there is an easy way around it to be honest. I try to think at times that I have to put on my technical hat now and leave the creativity  hat off at the moment.   Some DAW's let me leave on the Creativity hat longer but I don't think there is one IMHO that lets me only leave on the creativity hat. At least I  haven't found one.  This software and most DAW software is letting you replace $1000's worth of hardware.  A studio in software so it will take some time to learn this deep product.

Peace

On 11/9/2020 at 1:21 AM, InstrEd said:

I think on most DAW software it is this way on one part or several parts of the software...

I bet it is! In cubase everything routing related is called VST - deal with that :D.

I hope it was clear from my post that my intention was not bashing Cakewalk but to bring the routing topic back to light, at least for that short while. And I was talking also based on my own experience. Once this software enters homes routing becomes an issue, fact. In cakewalk if you want to make a MIDI arpeggiator (or vocoder) to work with another VSTi then prepare for going through few hoops and caveats, and some steps you have to go are very non-intuitive. I believe there's some space for improvements. In the early VSTi times when there was this inconvenience of dealing with MIDI and audio tracks separately and route things the way to make the VSTi work then the bakers came up with Instrument tracks which was an brilliant move, come on bakers :).

Edited by chris.r