Virtual Piano Keyboard Not Displaying

Simon Tunnicliffe

Hi All!

For some reason Virtual Piano Keyboard isn't coming up on a blank document. It was on a different template before, the basic one. If I try and play it it anyway, nothing sounds.

Any ideas why?

Nothing in the manual either under Virtual Controllers, Computer Keyboard or Piano Keyboard.

What's the difference too between Computer Keyboard and Piano Keyboard?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Simon Tunnicliffe said:

Hi All!

For some reason Virtual Piano Keyboard isn't coming up on a blank document. It was on a different template before, the basic one. If I try and play it it anyway, nothing sounds.

Any ideas why?

Nothing in the manual either under Virtual Controllers, Computer Keyboard or Piano Keyboard.

What's the difference too between Computer Keyboard and Piano Keyboard?

Thanks!

If you used the shortcut (Shift+Alt+0), did you use the zero on the keypad or the top row of keys?  For me, the keypad 0 did nothing, but the top row 0 open it up.

Next, I added a new midi track, set it up to record on that track, launched record and ran my mouse pointer over the keys.  Note data was recorded on the track.

There was no sound because I hadn't point that track to either a hardware sound module  or a softsynth.

I found the info on page 1664 of the 1742 page reference guide.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Simon Tunnicliffe said:

I tried both but it didn't sound when playing the keyboard either.

Just installed Cakewalk on my desktop comp so can use my midi controller now. 😉

I prefer non-virtual controllers!!!

But just to clarify, when you used the virtual keyboard, was it pointed to either a hardware synth module or a software synth? 

17 hours ago, Simon Tunnicliffe said:

Not sure.  I go to Views, Virtual Controllers, Piano Keyboard and it's still not there.

What is Computer Keyboard (not that it's there to click, just wondered)?

Below are pix of what I see when I select the Piano Keyboard and the Computer Keyboard from the Virtual Controllers menu. Do you have them listed in the views menu (see below)? If so, I am not sure why nothing happens when you select either of them. 

Page 1664 of the 1724 page Reference Guide has this:

"Note: If you do not see the Input control, click the Track Control button at the top of the Track pane and choose All. For more
information, see “Configuring Track view controls” on page 282. Also, make sure you have expanded the track fully by dragging
it down."

Maybe you need to do that?

UPDATE: I don't think that's it.  I switched from "All" to other options and I could still add them.  I was able to create a Lens that doesn't have "Virtual Controllers" under "Views," but it sounds like you have them listed.  Also,  I created a Track Control called "NONE" (no nothing!) and the Virtual Controllers still show up.

So, there must be some other reason why you don't get the Piano Keyboard or the Computer Keyboard virtual controllers.

Cakewalk - Virtual Controllers - 001c.png

Cakewalk - Virtual Controllers - 001b.png

Cakewalk - Virtual Controllers - 001a.png     Lens w/o Views > Virtual Controllers                image.png.4c00dcf7ef392505810d860f06ca1710.png

Update:  I found it also worked for me by opening a --blank project--, adding a midi track, and pointing the track to "Virtual Controller" in the track itself (pointed to the MS GM Synth). Not sure why its not coming up for you. Maybe others have suggestions to things to try.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Views.51.html

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to add a link to the online document

I got the virtual keyboard to work with Omnisphere.  You have to open  virtual midi keyboard  first, then pick the VST you want to use.  What I am trying to do is create a  virtual Mod wheel, but I can't seem to figure it out.  Is there a set of key-strokes that can behave as a mod wheel?   Also I haven't been able to get both the virtual midi keyboard and the computer keyboard to display at the same time.

1 hour ago, Leighton Cooper said:

I got the virtual keyboard to work with Omnisphere.  You have to open  virtual midi keyboard  first, then pick the VST you want to use.  What I am trying to do is create a  virtual Mod wheel, but I can't seem to figure it out.  Is there a set of key-strokes that can behave as a mod wheel?   Also I haven't been able to get both the virtual midi keyboard and the computer keyboard to display at the same time.

Virtual MIDI keyboard and the Computer keyboard interfaces are switchable, thus they wont display at the same time. Use shortcut Alt + 0 (upper row button, not the keypad button) and Alt + Shift + 0 to switch between them.

In Computer Keyboard mode, you can use number  1 - 5 of your upper row button to do the mod wheel.

On 9/16/2019 at 10:47 PM, Simon Tunnicliffe said:

Not sure.  I go to Views, Virtual Controllers, Piano Keyboard and it's still not there.

What is Computer Keyboard (not that it's there to click, just wondered)?

The only thing preventing Virtual Keyboard to appear in View menu is if you untick the Virtual keyboard in selected lenses.

You must have accidentally changed your lenses. 

Try using lens "None", and see what happens.

Edited by James Argo

2 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

could that be whether you have "Num Lk" on or off? numlok has to be on for the numpad numbers to be recognised as such

I tested this briefly on my tower as well as testing the use of Ctrl+[the numbers 1-5] on the top row v. keypad mentioned in the other thread re: modulation.  I get differences I don't understand yet--but the keypad numbers definitely function differently than the top row numbers.  Not a priority for me to sort out at the moment since I was just exploring the Virtual Keyboard and Computer Controllers based on the initial post.  

And I only took a very brief look at the sections that start here.

Good News, I got the Mod to work, Thank you so much  James Argo.  Now I have to deal with aftertouch!  Is there anything such as a virtual aftertouch wheel?  People talk about drawing AT in, but I am unsure how to do that.  I have never used lanes, is there a specified lane for that and then you just set the values  note by note?  or is there an easier way to get it to function and onto different destinations, can they be reached Filters,  Sync, by keyboard shortcuts? or is this already too far out?

Normally, aftertouch (either channel aftertouch or polyphonic aftertouch) is input by key pressure of your physical MIDI keyboard, not by wheel. Aftertouch can expand your playing expression if the synth allows it. It depends on how the synth utilize the aftertouch data for that particular patch / sound. Even if the synth supports aftertouch, most synth will only utilize channel aftertouch. Although possible, it's very rare for them to utilize polyphonic aftertouch.

I have never seen nor use any virtual MIDI keyboard that is able to directly input aftertouch data. Most of them only deal with notes, velocity, mod wheel and pitch bend.

In Cakewalk, you can draw channel aftertouch data in Track view, Piano Roll View, or even input the data one by one in Event List view. The process can be time consuming if you work in detail to really get the desired effect. If you really concern and think that you really need to deal with aftertouch that much, I suggest you to buy MIDI keyboard that support aftertouch.