Warm Audio Bus Compressor

jesse g

Hello Folks,

I have been looking at the WA bus compressor for a while and WA just lowered the price from $799.99 to $649.99 for a limited time.   This was a deal I just couldn't pass up.

The Warm Audio BUS-COMP is an all-analog, 2 channel, stereo VCA bus compressor based on classic circuitry that has provided silky smooth tone for decades.  Stereo VCA bus compressors are masterful at controlling dynamics on many sources, but they have become widely known for their magic touch on stereo mixes.  

The BUS-COMP will perform well on stereo mixes, drum mixes, drum overheads, acoustic guitars, keyboards, piano, orchestral instruments, voice-overs and an array of other sources.  The BUS-COMP is primarily designed for stereo use, but it can be used just as successfully on individual mono sources. VCA bus compressors of this type have become widely loved for their ability to control dynamics effortlessly but also for the added tone and depth they provide to the audio signal that passes through them, even when no compression is applied.

WARM AUDIO BUS COMPRESSOR

Let us know what you think after living with it a while.  I never got a chance to review this unit and have the transformer coupled outputs from my RND summer but it always nice to hear what others think.  Warm stuff generally punches above its price.  The ssl unit costs 1000s more.  Even if I thought it was worth it I couldn’t afford it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After using it for a while, this is a good piece, but it is indeed no SSL Bus Comp.  The unit has to be pushed in order to notice a change when the transformer button is engaged.  However,  I do like the side chain insert using my EQ with it and also the use of the  HP Filter.   Over all it's good, but there are other ones better that are just above the same price range.

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

imo a stereo compressor can do magic..'glueing' things and sometimes making the mids (bass,drums) tighter.

depending on the material, sometimes a 'dual mono' compressor works better.

imo dual mono keeps/adds width/depth that you can lose a bit on stereo (or linked dual mono).

(Just what I used to hear on my Drawmer dl251 compressor (VCA dual mono with a 'link' and 'peak/rms' modes switch).

Edited by Sheens

iic the SSL console bus compressor has a 'feedback' circuit...perhaps the Warm Audio is too.

My Sknote (pulse width modulation) compressor had such circuit too, to me it sounded a bit like RMS compressing.....made the 'tempo/beat' energy somewhat 'relax'.

To me it sounded like the attack was 1 hair later, but it can be real nice.

Feedback + RMS combined probably is a little too much for a bus in most situations (could be brilliant on fe backing vocals maybe).

Edited by Sheens

Sheens, 

I have the Art Pro VLA II, whis is a really nice Dual Mono Link compressor.  It really sound good on buses when I mix drums, vocals and other instrumens.  I just wanted a dedicated Master Bus Compressor  so I chose the Warm Audio mainly for the price and it was reccomended.   I do like using it, however, like I said, it not fully comparable to the real deal.    

I have a FMR RNC 1173 Compressor as well, and that little compressor is remarkable on a bus and on individual tracks.

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 1