Placement of Lyrics and Play List window

Ron Harrell

I've noticed when using the Bandlab Cakewalk you can place your lyrics in front of the tracks and save the file.  When you open the file back up the lyrics are behind the track and they do not come up front even after the track starts playing.  You have to click on the lyrics to get them to the front again.  This was not the case with Sonar 6 and newer versions of Cakewalk.

• 1 month later...

When you open up a file in Cakewalk by Bandlab the lyrics are behind the track window.  You have to click on the lyrics to bring them to the front.  I click save when I close the file but when it is reopened the lyrics are behind the track window again.  Is there anyway to assure the lyrics will be in the front.  Also concerning the play list window.  When using Sonar 6 after a song is chosen to play the play list window drops off the screen and reappears after the song is finished.  Is there anyway to do this in the Bandlab version?  After the latest MS 10 update my play list function on Sonar 6 was affected.  When you choose a song an error message pops up and the software shuts down.  This is why I want to switch to Cakewalk by Bandlab.

If the Lyric View is docked in the multidock, simply right click on the 'Lyrics' tab in the multidock and choose 'undock'. You can then drag the lyric window to wherever you wish to place it.  It will always be the top window. Check that you have no active lenses (Top right of main screen>Lenses>None). Also check that the screenset you are using is not locked (Views>Screensets>Lock/unlock current screenset). Now save the project. From then on, whenever you open that project, the lyric view will be the top window located where you placed it prior to saving.

If the window placement is correct and you wish to make it permanent, simply lock the screenset (Views>Screensets>Lock/unlock current screenset) then resave the project. That way, even if you change the window layout whilst editing, the lyric view will always be restored to its rightful place on re-opening the project. 

(NB. The only window that can block the floating lyric view window is the Playlist window, so if using that feature make sure when organising your project windows that you leave space wherever you choose to locate your playlist)

Edited by Tenfoot

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2019 at 12:17 AM, Tenfoot said:

If the Lyric View is docked in the multidock, simply right click on the 'Lyrics' tab in the multidock and choose 'undock'. You can then drag the lyric window to wherever you wish to place it.  It will always be the top window. Check that you have no active lenses (Top right of main screen>Lenses>None). Also check that the screenset you are using is not locked (Views>Screensets>Lock/unlock current screenset). Now save the project. From then on, whenever you open that project, the lyric view will be the top window located where you placed it prior to saving.

If the window placement is correct and you wish to make it permanent, simply lock the screenset (Views>Screensets>Lock/unlock current screenset) then resave the project. That way, even if you change the window layout whilst editing, the lyric view will always be restored to its rightful place on re-opening the project. 

(NB. The only window that can block the floating lyric view window is the Playlist window, so if using that feature make sure when organising your project windows that you leave space wherever you choose to locate your playlist)

Thanks for your help Tenfoot.  I understand how to do everything you suggested except the multidock procedure.  I see multidock listed at the bottom of the track view but how do I get to the multidock?  That is the only thing I can figure out.  I have been a Sonar 6 user for several years but some things in the Bandlab Cakewalk I haven't figured out yet.

Thanks in Advance

6 hours ago, Ron Harrell said:

I see multidock listed at the bottom of the track view but how do I get to the multidock?  That is the only thing I can figure out.

Click: Views>Lyric view.

You can grab the Tab/Tabs in the lower right hand corner of the Multidock and drag them anywhere. Or alternatively, right click on those tabs and choose "Undock".

Hey @Ron Harrell . When you select Lyrics view as Chuck described above, it will by default open in the multidock.  Be aware that lyric view is track selection dependent. You need to make sure you have the track selected that contains the notes that will trigger the lyrics as the song plays - a single midi note for each word. Heres the process I use:

1. Write your song  lyrics in a text file

2. Create an empty midi track. This will be used to trigger your lyrics. It does not matter what instrument it is assigned to (if any) as it will be muted. It does not matter what notes you play. Just the timing is used to scroll through the lyrics. 

3. Record enable the track and start recording, and as the song plays, play a midi note for each word (exactly as they are written in your text file). Once done, this track can be muted.

4. With the midi track you just recorded selected, choose  Views> Lyric View. A window filled with dashes (one for each note you played) will appear in the multi dock. Drag its tab out of the multidock so that the window is free floating.

5. Select all of the lyrics in your text document and copy them (Ctl>C)

6. Now select all of the dashes in your lyric view window and paste the lyrics in (Ctl>V). The dashes will be replaced with your lyrics. 

7. Play back the song back and make sure that the highlighted lyrics are in time with your backing.

You can now set the font and resize the window to suit your screen layout. You can have a larger font and smaller window, as the lyrics will be highlighted and scroll with the song on playback. I generally like to have 4 lines visible the full width of the screen, but this is entirely up to you. Arrange all of the project windows as you would like them to appear upon opening. MAKE SURE THAT YOUR LYRIC TRACK IS SELECTED. Lock the current screenset, then save the song.

Hope that helps:)

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Thanks  Tenfoot.  The midi's I use are professionally produced and they already have the lyrics with them.  I high lighted the melody track and locked the screenset and saved the file.  When I reopened the file I got an error message and the program shut down.  I'm probably going to need to get with someone on the phone and let them walk me through this.  I am U.S. based.

Ron 

22 hours ago, Ron Harrell said:

Thanks for your help Tenfoot.  I understand how to do everything you suggested except the multidock procedure.  I see multidock listed at the bottom of the track view but how do I get to the multidock?  That is the only thing I can figure out.  I have been a Sonar 6 user for several years but some things in the Bandlab Cakewalk I haven't figured out yet.

Thanks in Advance

Great news my friend.  I finally figured it out and got it to work thanks to your help.

Ron

• Like 1