Audio track will not stay armed

Robert Whitaker

Question

When I arm a track for recording in Cakewalk, I can record without issue. As soon as the transport is stopped, I need to un-arm and re-arm the track before it will record again. The indicator button still indicates the track is armed but it receives no input.

I don't want to have to cycle the arming of a record track for each take. Is there some setting I am missing?

16 answers to this question

On 9/15/2019 at 3:27 AM, Chuck E Baby said:

Are you referring to the Input echo button or the record button itself ? and are you using "Comping" mode to record multiple takes per track ?

It does not matter if I am in comp mode or not. Here is a step-by-step.

I arm a track (the armed for recording button lights up).

I press record and the transport activates.

I press stop and the take is successfully recorded (the armed for recording button for that track is still it up) but the VU meter now indicates it is not receiving input from the instrument.

I press record and the transport activates.

I press stop but now nothing is recorded (the armed for recording button for that track is still it up).

Only if I un-arm the track and re-arm it between takes will it record each time.

IF I TURN ON INPUT ECHO FOR THE TRACK IT WILL CONTINUE TO RECORD EACH TAKE WITHOUT HAVING TO CYCLE THE ARMED FOR RECORDING BUTTON.

Edited by Robert Whitaker

1 hour ago, Robert Whitaker said:

IF I TURN ON INPUT ECHO FOR THE TRACK IT WILL CONTINUE TO RECORD EACH TAKE WITHOUT HAVING TO CYCLE THE ARMED FOR RECORDING BUTTON.

Depending on how you are monitoring, this is okay to have input echo on. I know personally I have it on each time I record audio tracks because I am monitoring Amp Sims, FX, guitar signals, exc as I record each pass. What I quoted from you above, is normal working situations for most of us.

1 hour ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Depending on how you are monitoring, this is okay to have input echo on. I know personally I have it on each time I record audio tracks because I am monitoring Amp Sims, FX, guitar signals, exc as I record each pass. What I quoted from you above, is normal working situations for most of us.

Yeah I know it is okay, under many circumstances to have input echo on, in fact, I discovered this after my initial post. However, this seems like a workaround. Without input echo on, one would expect that, if the track is armed, it should accept input without having to dis-arm and re-arm. I'm new to CbB but previous version of Sonar did not exhibit this behavior.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Robert Whitaker

1 hour ago, Robert Whitaker said:

but previous version of Sonar did not exhibit this behavior.

They don't now either.

Im not sure what you are doing to have this happen. Possibly a "Stop at project end" is causing it.

I tried to reproduce this and I couldn't. I thought at first maybe it was because you were arming the take lane vs. the track itself.

Wish I could be more help as to why this is happening. I just cant repro it here.

Im running low on solutions but I might be able to suggest a few more..

- Any midi devices plugged in ? (these can send midi messages to turn off REC functions)

- Are you in punch in mode ? (this might turn off REC mode)

- Where you viewing the REC button from ? (Note: To see the Arm for Recording button in the Track Inspector and Console view, make sure the MSR module is visible.)

- Possibly Auto arm is confusing something here

I don't really have a good idea why this is happening , but it seems pretty clear there's some interoperability issue between Cakewalk and the Presonus driver.

I can only suggest you uninstall anything related to that S-Engine interface, and maybe re-install the latest Presonus driver, and make sure the Playback and Record Timing Master settings in Cakewalk preferences are referencing it. And don't make it the default device for audio playback or recording in Windows (let Windows use your onboard audio).

Beyond that, you might want to contact Presonus to see if they can replicate this.