Unable to specify different measure or beat for start of project

Bill Phillips

How do I specify the Meter at the start of a project? I use the project shown in this screenshot https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag9MrIdQMNIZoQSkFNpfPX2WuOGB?e=uF1VsC  to provide a metronome for piano practice. So I frequently change the metronome Meter to match the song I'm practicing, but as shown by the error dialog in the screenshot at the link, CbB doesn't allow me to do that . Why not? This project has only the one track which contains no clips.

Edited by Bill Phillips
Screenshot link didn't work. It does now.

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

SHIFT + M brings up this dialog.

But you can't use that to insert a Measure/Beat marker at the start of a project. You need to adjust the existing one.

The easiest way to do this is to just click on the time signature in the control bar:

image.png.d8e2a14d4bca35bcbde477521d82e2b8.png

Thanks msmcleod. I thought I tried it, but must not have because it works.

6 hours ago, RobertWS said:

How did you get to that screen?  I have the latest version of cakewalk and mine looks like this (and it works):

978329039_ScreenHunter122.png.f994d4e2b4be6e42f73cc75efb14108f.png

They are different dialogs.  You used the Meter/Key Signature dialog which works at the beginning of the song. I used the Measure Beat Meter dialog which doesn't work at the beginning of the song. I think I have the latest version as well. Ver: 2019.07 (Build 79)

2019-09-14 (1).png

Edited by Bill Phillips
Remove extra images

17 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

I used the Measure Beat Meter dialog which doesn't work at the beginning of the song.

Actually that dialog should be named 'Set Measure/Beat at Now' to match the name of the command. The reason it doesn't work at 1:01:000 is that its primary function is to align the measure and beat specified in the upper section to the absolute Now Time where the cursor is by changing the previous tempo. 1:01:000 is locked to SMPTE time zero 00:00:00:00 and there's no previous tempo that Cakewalk can change to move it. Inserting a meter change at the same time is a convenience feature added to that primary function.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1