Waves Plugs 10 etc ...

Kevin White

I got everything working fine ... but the load times are cripplingly long. 

I'm still using the legacy version ... and have wondered if the Bandlabs updated version has solved the license check EVERY SINGLE TIME THE PROGRAM REOPENS. If so, I am in like Flynn ... but Sonar is the only audio program I have that has the "why don't I go brew some coffee as this loads" wait on the Waves plugs every time.

Sony Sound Forge did it the first scan -- and then they load instantly.

Has the BLCWS version improved the VST scan so it doesn't need to check every license every project load?

I'm having my doubts. I can't even get the scan to complete w/o hanging on one of the Waves plugs. 

Sigh -- 

On the positive side -- thinking it just was going to take another inordinately long time, I happened to get in a nice little power nap.

... but it got hung -- again ... so we keep trying and hoping for the best. 

:D

May or may not be related but I'll mention this in case it might help.
I recently had a similar problem with Wave 10 after I reinstalled the Abbey Road suite where the VST scan would hit Waves 10 and then crawl like a sick slug , issue went away after I reinstalled Mercury.

Details:
Waves  uses a couple of DLLs to cover it's library.  Abbey Roads was on WaveShell3-VST3 10.0_x64.vst3 and after reinstalling A.R. the DLL was the same version but had a newer time/date stamp than the other two.  Additional attempts at reinstalling A.R. didn't change things, reinstalling Mercury (which updated WaveShell1-VST3 10.0_x64.vst3 and WaveShell2-VST3 10.0_x64.vst3) did.  As mentioned previously problem didn't occur till after after I reinstalled Abbey Roads and all the Waves VST3s were the same version. 

Now my VST scan times are back to normal.
If still having issue try reinstalling your Waves plugins.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

I run all the Waves Plugins without problem.

I’m on the latest Win10 and CbB release as well.

The reason for telling you this is to try and give you the confidence that a) the problem isn’t universal and b) that you can get it to work. 

If you can’t get help on the  forum, contact Waves support by phone or email. They are excellent and will work with you.

All the best.

BTW, in addition to the post above; the Cakewalk scanner should only run when there’s a new plugin found, even if set to Scan on Startup which is the recommended and default setting. If the scanner hangs it’s often the case that there’s an error message hidden behind another open window that requires some action on your part. The scanning process will sit there until you clear the message.

Edited by MUDGEL
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

8 minutes ago, MUDGEL said:

Scan on Startup which is the recommended and default setting.

Starting with X3, "Automatic Background Scan" is the default (and recommended) setting. Regardless of the scan option the scanner only scans plug-ins once unless the "rescan" options are enabled. This is why the "rescan" options are disabled by default and should only be used to solve certain issues when running a manual scan.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cookie Jarvis said:

Turn off the scanner on start up...the only time you need to scan is when you add a new plugin.

Bill

I do have it off. The slow down occurs as they load. Each and every Waves Plug sticks on load -- but does so eventually -- after a good 5-10 minute wait.

19 hours ago, TheSteven said:

May or may not be related but I'll mention this in case it might help.
I recently had a similar problem with Wave 10 after I reinstalled the Abbey Road suite where the VST scan would hit Waves 10 and then crawl like a sick slug , issue went away after I reinstalled Mercury.

Details:
Waves  uses a couple of DLLs to cover it's library.  Abbey Roads was on WaveShell3-VST3 10.0_x64.vst3 and after reinstalling A.R. the DLL was the same version but had a newer time/date stamp than the other two.  Additional attempts at reinstalling A.R. didn't change things, reinstalling Mercury (which updated WaveShell1-VST3 10.0_x64.vst3 and WaveShell2-VST3 10.0_x64.vst3) did.  As mentioned previously problem didn't occur till after after I reinstalled Abbey Roads and all the Waves VST3s were the same version. 

Now my VST scan times are back to normal.
If still having issue try reinstalling your Waves plugins.

I did install it twice already ... same behavior.  Thanks for the comment, though.  I'm going to try Craig's repair idea prior to a third install.

Edited by Kevin White

18 hours ago, MUDGEL said:

I run all the Waves Plugins without problem.

I’m on the latest Win10 and CbB release as well.

The reason for telling you this is to try and give you the confidence that a) the problem isn’t universal and b) that you can get it to work. 

If you can’t get help on the  forum, contact Waves support by phone or email. They are excellent and will work with you.

All the best.

BTW, in addition to the post above; the Cakewalk scanner should only run when there’s a new plugin found, even if set to Scan on Startup which is the recommended and default setting. If the scanner hangs it’s often the case that there’s an error message hidden behind another open window that requires some action on your part. The scanning process will sit there until you clear the message.

I was one of the folks that had some V9 plugs that I had to uninstall when I bought a new V10 plug, and then get the old plugs back in with the external installer. Quite the process it was.

I also had to go into the User Data Files and eliminate a file -- which, I believe, confused Sonar -- as they originally wouldn't load AT ALL. I finally got them loading okay ... albeit sick slug (LOVE that description) slowly.

Edited by Kevin White

2 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

Waves Central has a repair option. That's helped me a couple times in the past when installs got out of sync with each other. 

Thanks Craig! I will look that up. I've used Waves extensively over the years and likely have all SORTS of different timestamps all over the place. One of the issues I encountered was the scan finding the original Waveshell.dll -- and going -- "You don't have any of these plug ins anymore." 😁

3 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

If the repair option doesn't work, the comments about Waves support are all true. I know musicians have gotten used to "DIY support," but Waves is an exception. Sometimes old files need to be cleaned out, and they know exactly which ones to nuke.

It didn't. I just got done w/ it, and it's stuck again on loading the Waves plugins. I've heard their service is excellent, but also that the rollout of V10 had them swamped.

Still -- if a few minutes on the phone can save me 10 minutes each time a project loads, then that's a good return on my investment!

On 1/14/2019 at 9:06 PM, MUDGEL said:

Excellent. They really know their stuff. Literally. There’s no feeling better than getting a pain of a problem solved and getting back to the music. 

It was quite the puzzle, even for the tech. Nothing appeared that out of place. The installation looked fine. 

He went through the installation files, and took out all unnecessary stuff -- extra waveshells that were superfluous -- so that each wave shell wasn't contributing to the wait on the scan, going through multiple unnecessary authorizations in unneeded repeats. Curious note there is that only the shells with the .vst3 file extension were needed. 

But, still, my system was hanging forever -- both on the scans, and whenever any plug was loaded. 

He sensed my frustration as he clicked to load a single plug into an empty project -- and 5 minutes had passed.

He navigated to my user app files, and drilled down into Waves Central application -- where he highlighted the contents of the preferences folder and moved them out to the wall. He said, "I just wiped your preference cache. I'm going to let the program build a brand new one."

We went back into CWBLS (Cakewalk BandLab Sonar), and did a scan. It took no time whatsoever to go through. Done in about 2 minutes -- and I have a LOT of plugins.

He then observed, "I think you're going to like the results." 

Sure enough, the plugs popped and opened in less than 5 seconds -- never mind minutes.

At that very moment, the cloudy skies parted, and a host of angels began to sing. 

I was simply a little too happily overwhelmed to record the event. 

😀

Edited by Kevin White