windows blue screen issue

Silvio Gazquez

Question

13 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, Silvio Gazquez said:
15 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@Silvio Gazquez - what audio interface are you using?

Scarlet 2i2 2nd gen

Focusrite have acknowledged an issue in their driver switching between ASIO / WASAPI that causes a blue screen (and I've heard reports of the same happening in the very latest driver when changing ASIO buffer size).

Until they fix this avoid swapping between WASAPI and ASIO.

If you can, avoid using your 2i2 as your Windows device (set Windows to use your on-board sound device), and use ASIO exclusively in Cakewalk.

If you do need to use your 2i2 as your Windows device, then use WASAPI mode within Cakewalk, and ensure that Windows is using the same sample rate as Cakewalk (keep an eye on this... Windows updates has a habit of changing it).

42 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Focusrite have acknowledged an issue in their driver switching between ASIO / WASAPI that causes a blue screen (and I've heard reports of the same happening in the very latest driver when changing ASIO buffer size).

Until they fix this avoid swapping between WASAPI and ASIO.

If you can, avoid using your 2i2 as your Windows device (set Windows to use your on-board sound device), and use ASIO exclusively in Cakewalk.

If you do need to use your 2i2 as your Windows device, then use WASAPI mode within Cakewalk, and ensure that Windows is using the same sample rate as Cakewalk (keep an eye on this... Windows updates has a habit of changing it).

Ok, will check. Whats the difference between wasapi and asio? is one better than the other?

Thanks,

Silvio.

1 minute ago, Silvio Gazquez said:

Ok, will check. Whats the difference between wasapi and asio? is one better than the other?

Thanks,

Silvio.

For dedicated audio devices such as the 2i2, ASIO is usually best as it bypasses all the Windows layers and accesses the audio device directly.

However in Windows 10, WASAPI can perform almost as good if not the same as ASIO for most modern devices.

2 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

For dedicated audio devices such as the 2i2, ASIO is usually best as it bypasses all the Windows layers and accesses the audio device directly.

However in Windows 10, WASAPI can perform almost as good if not the same as ASIO for most modern devices.

I see... but what about in terms of audio quality? 

10 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Audio quality is exactly the same.

The only difference between the two is that ASIO generally has better latency. This isn't always the case though, sometimes WASAPI can be just as good.

So in order to change to wasapi I have to install focusrite wasapi drivers? Sorry for my ignorance 😃