Wavs are greyed out on my laptop - Solved

Michael Fogarty

22 minutes ago, mark skinner said:

Are they grayed out  like they look when you "freeze" a track ?

sorry, I can't remember as I have rarely used that function as I mix as I go. But from what I can remeber something like that. It says :busy" so must not be drawing the wav right. There is also no picture .wov in the picture cache.

4 hours ago, Michael Fogarty said:

I got lost at "type alt enter"

Alt+Enter is just the generic Windows keyboard shortcut to bring up the context menu of a selected object, but I think Cakewalk intercepts it and doesn't do anthing with it. Right-click gets you the same thing.

In my experience, it's sometimes necessary to zoom out so that all or most of the clip is visible in order for the waveform re-draw to complete. 

7 hours ago, David Baay said:

Alt+Enter is just the generic Windows keyboard shortcut to bring up the context menu of a selected object, but I think Cakewalk intercepts it and doesn't do anthing with it. Right-click gets you the same thing.

In my experience, it's sometimes necessary to zoom out so that all or most of the clip is visible in order for the waveform re-draw to complete. 

Hi David. Yes, I guess this will remain a mystery. Had nothing to do with zooming out. I tried redrawing the wav, bouncing down the wav, reversing the wav, opening it in SoundForge - nothing. Weird stuff. But I'm good to go now after an install. 

• 1 year later...

here I am a year later with the same problem. seasonal problem? Did a re-install and this time it didn't fix it. I have recomputed the .wav but they are still grey. In Sound Forge they are fine. Only on my laptop.  My desktop has never had this issue. Seems I re-installed last year and it worked. Here I am a year later using the laptop for the first time this year (COVID has eaten up all my live) and the same problem. SO weird.

Edited by Michael Fogarty

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 10:35 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Are you running the latest version of CbB? Please post a video or screenshot of the problem. Also check what your picture cache folder is set to and find and delete all files in that folder. If something is blocking generation of the pictures or you have HD problems it  could cause this problem.

Thank you for your help.
Yes, running the latest.
2 screenshots posted

the .wav reads "busy" in the upper corner. Since it says busy, does that mean it is continuing drawing? That would be crazy.

re-computed everything but no change.

You mentioned maybe a drive issue. Should I switch the audio data folder to and external for a test? But the cache file of course is on the OS.

Also, in case you missed it, the .wav show up in Sound Forge. It seems to be a Cakewalk issue with the present user looking for help. Help please. 

To update people, this isn't my main DAW - it is doing great. But my XPS9350.

I also re-installed and did the aud.ini tweaks (as best I could) in the help section (configuration files). Reset to default just in case.

picture cache.png

cakewalk screenshot.png

clarity.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

He was suggesting that you switch from ASIO to WASAPI and open the same project and check if the pictures are recomputed.

PS: please check your PM messages.

edit: Hello there. It is not mentioned anywhere to switch to WASAPI. I did switch back and forth to WDM but nothing changed. My question, though maybe not clear and specific, is why would that change anything? I've always used only ASIO. Is that a possible fix or factor?

Latest update - Noel has offered direct intervention. Long live Cakewalk.  Because of our time differences and new morning work due to COVID it may take a while to jive. In good time, will let everyone know the final outcome. Re-iterating, this is not my main DAW that I use on a daily basis but a backup laptop.

On 1/5/2021 at 9:45 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

@Michael Fogarty can you elaborate on what you did to fix the permissions? I have not encountered a windows update causing waves to not draw.

certainly. I had somehow lost permission to edit  my Cakewalk folder where the picture cache is housed. It had become read only. I went in and tried some different fixes and restarted the computer, but alas, still reverted back to read-only. This problem can be found on the web.  The email I got from a Cakewalk user(says he is not a forum member - doesn't post, but reads the posts occasionally) stated:

Quote:Hi, I'm sending you a message here since I'm not a user at Cakewalk Discuss. Saw your post regarding greyed out wavs and I just had the same problem on my laptop. I found that for some reason I no longer had write permission for the files in 😄 Program Files>Cakewalk. So Cakewalk couldn't save the image files in 😄 Program Files>Cakewalk>Cakewalk Projects>Picture Cache. I changed that in Windows Explorer and now everything works again. Maybe you have the same issue? All the best! 

Michael again - here is what worked for me.

Press Windows key + E on the desktop screen.

Right-click on the documents folder.

Click on Security tab, then click on Edit to change the permissions.

Click the box to allow Home Users (in my case Michael)full control.

Click OK