Audio popping and losing sound with Sonar x3 Studio

After a few hours of using Sonar x3, when I click the mouse on certain buttons, such as the recording arm button, I hear on audio pop come over the monitors. After that happens a few times, I find there is no longer sound coming when I play back. I can see the meters showing sound but I can't hear it. There would always be an audio pop sound before I lost sound on the monitors. Sometimes if I keep clicking the play button, there would not be a pop and it would play sound out the monitors.  Eventually I  have to shut Sonar down and reopen it to get the sound playing again and no pops and sound through the monitors. I thought it was my interface so I got a new one and it is doing exactly the same thing with the new interface. Does anyone know if this is a Sonar thing or a computer thing?

Thanks in advance, Amy

I  can not say definitively either way not knowing all your setup, but I have run Cake for years (for hours on end) on a desktop without any issues like you've described.  Yet on a laptop that I use for when I'm traveling or doing remote recordings I seem to recall your issue.  If I remember correctly it has to do with driver settings.  Are you using AISO? You probably need to experiment with those settings to see what works best on your system.

I have read some theorize that large amounts of undo history can negatively affect the program. Could try clearing the history or reducing the size of the buffer. There was an issue with early releases of X3 and the 64bit Double Precision Engine. Turning it off may help.

There have been considerable bug fixes since X3. If the machine has internet access and is running 64bit Win7 or newer, upgrading may be a good idea.

4 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

have you considered updating to the latest version? quite some improvement since x3 and now available for free... also, certain wireless mice have been known to cause trouble/interrupts in earlier versions

I have been considering it but I held off waiting to see what was going to happen with the new Bandlab situation. I got away from recording since the buy out and I am now just coming back to it. I spent the morning reading and trying to figure out what the best thing to do is.

2 minutes ago, Screaming For Attention said:

Wow, I have JUST do that a few weeks ago. Like totally moved every file from my C drive to an external drive.  I also shut down all abilities to get any updates. Do you mean updating windows or Sonarx3?

The company that made X3 is no longer in business. Their programs and many virtual instruments were bought by Bandlab.

They have released an updated and supported version called Cakewalk By Bandlab, for FREE (for 64-bit Windows operating systems). See the stickies at the top for links to the downloads of this amazing new (and supported) DAW.

2 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

The company that made X3 is no longer in business. Their programs and many virtual instruments were bought by Bandlab.

They have released an updated and supported version called Cakewalk By Bandlab, for FREE (for 64-bit Windows operating systems). See the stickies at the top for links to the downloads of this amazing new (and supported) DAW. 

Thanks, I am going to do it. I was holding off because every time I change anything, things stop working and I hate down time. But my system is not working now really anyway so I am going to pull the trigger now.

We posted at the same time; I see you already knew that.

I understand about not wanting to jump ship right in the middle of a project, too.

Some more info may help; what is your audio interface and operating system?

Can you list or post screenshots of your audio settings under Preferences (such as number of buffers, Latency, etc.)?

Not sure what this means

18 minutes ago, Screaming For Attention said:

Wow, I have JUST do that a few weeks ago. Like totally moved every file from my C drive to an external drive.

but running projects on an external drive is not a good idea.

18 minutes ago, Screaming For Attention said:

Do you mean updating windows or Sonarx3?

My post had a link to the upgrade instructions for Cakewalk by BandLab but since you asked.... Keeping the OS and the DAW current are both good ideas. Especially if you are having trouble with your current setup.

1 minute ago, scook said:

Not sure what this means

but running projects on an external drive is not a good idea. 

My post linked to the upgrade instructions for Cakewalk by BandLab but since you asked.... Keeping the OS and the DAW current are both good ideas. Especially if you are having trouble with your current setup.

Yes, I should of clarified, I MOVED a ton of files to an external hard drive.  I had about 1000 projects in my project folder and that seemed like a bit much so I decided to go through and open each and every project, then click the "save as" to a folder on the external drive. I made the mistake of starting off without saving projects to a folder so all my audio files started to get mixed up somehow. I asked back on the old forum what to do and the main suggestion was to manually go and save each on in a folder with separate audio files in the folder.

Archiving your projects on an external drive is an excellent idea, as that will free up space on your internal drive.

However, if you are going to be working with any of those projects again, you should first copy it back to an internal drive.

The reason is that external drives are generally slow 5400 RPM USB drives, that are OK for backups but not audio production.  For  audio drives always use at least an internal 7200 RPM SATA HDD for good audio track throughput.

• Like 2