Take Lanes & MIDI Record

Peter C

Haven't really used take lanes before, just used lots of tracks. However thought I'd try it out. Recording a MIDI drum track from an external keyboard doing different bits as different takes, e.g. bass drum first, hihat second, etc.  Using take lanes in just the one track, when I record the hihat I can't hear the bass drum during record. I've checked the correct preferences settings and there is no problem hearing the MIDI playback during record when bass drum is on one track and hi-hat is on another.  Am I missing something?

I typically don't use lanes in MIDI but tested before posting and it works for me.

• Added Superior Drummer to a new project as an instrument track with echo enabled, armed for recording
  • Changed recording mode to Sound on Sound
  • Recorded a kick
  • Rewound the transport and recorded a snare...the kick was playing
  • Rewound the transport and recording a tom...both the kick and snare were playing
  • Opened up the take lanes and saw three takes lanes, one for each instrument.

26 minutes ago, scook said:

I typically don't use lanes in MIDI but tested before posting and it works for me.

• Added Superior Drummer to a new project as an instrument track with echo enabled, armed for recording.

That would be the "input echo" button, yes?

Okay, followed scook's step-by-step - it works.

However.........

Open new project
Select MIDI track 10 with midi in/out enabled, echo on, sound-on-sound selected (my default option)
Record bass drum to track 10.
Expand track 10 to show take lane with bass drum.
Add new take lane. Set to record.
Bass drum isn't heard when recording hi-hat.
On playback both bass drum and hi-hat are heard.

The work-around  is to follow scook's process or just use separate tracks.

Well.....that got me thinking why is there a record button in the take lane?  David I did what you suggested but then my hi-hat recording after the bass drum just gets assigned to the bass drum take lane as well. If I hit the record button in the take lane the hi-hat is allocated there but that's when bass drum playback can't be heard.  I'm not really looking for a solution, just interested to know why it's doing this. I think it's easier for me to record to separate tracks and not use lanes.