Anyone still using Project 5 in Windows 10?

JoseC

Well you know what, even though Cakewalk ported some features for P5 over into Sonar, they apparently lost some of the vital "magic sauce" in the process.

P5 V2 was a product ahead of it's time, and it even appears that Bitwig Studio "borrowed" the in-line "Groove Matrix" GUI design, which Sonar and CbB both lack. Yes, Sonar and CbB have a matrix view, but is located in another panel.

Bitwig Studio has a similar GUI design for their in-line "Clip Launcher Panel". That company was started by some former Ableton Live developers.  For those not familiar, Live has had a Clip Launcher as far back as I can remember, but it is a completely separate view from the arrangement view.

Bitwig Studio, and even Acoustica Mixcraft have an in-line launcher now, that lines up with their track, or arranger view. As far as I know, Cakewalk P5 was the first to offer this feature.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

On 5/15/2021 at 8:07 PM, Kevin Perry said:

OK, so try this...

Same file

Search for DriverType=

Set its value to 2 (ASIO)

Haha, ok so, this is embarrassing, but in my attempt to get it to work I deleted p5aud.ini, expecting it to recreate it, but apparently it doesn't get that far. What's worse: uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't create one either. Can anyone attach a copy?

Edit: it was still in the Recycle Bin! restored, going to edit now.

Edited by Agincourtdb
I am a big dummy

OK.

I got it working.

It was Bluetooth. There was an entry for my Bluetooth headphones in the audio devices list, in Device Manager. Once I disabled *THAT*, p5 successfully profiled and loaded up.

I sincerely want to thank everyone who weighed in. Seriously.

• 9 months later...

Hi, all. I've owned Project 5 versions 1 and 2 since the mid 2000s, just had a major crash, and after getting the program reinstalled up to version 2.0 I just now realized that I don't have the 2.5 and 2.5.1 update files (just the original CDs).  I found links at the old (original) Cakewalk site, but they're broken.  My personal download page there doesn't show the two updates either.  I'm hoping someone can send those two files my way so that I can fully get back into one of my all-time favorite programs!!  Thanks in advance for any help.

• 2 months later...
On 5/19/2021 at 10:06 PM, Agincourtdb said:

OK.

I got it working.

It was Bluetooth. There was an entry for my Bluetooth headphones in the audio devices list, in Device Manager. Once I disabled *THAT*, p5 successfully profiled and loaded up.

I sincerely want to thank everyone who weighed in. Seriously.

Thank you! Had the same problem. That worked for me tool! Oh the nostalgia!

OK, since this thread just got revived, I'll go ahead and toss this out there...

P5 is a 32-bit only program, so you are limited to 32-bit plugins. Plus it will never be able to handle large memory plugins like a 64-bit host can. And it runs on a single thread only.

But this product was ahead of its time, and it's really a shame that it never got updated to modern technical standards... 😢

I never used P5, but the thing that chaps Superabbit's bunny tail is that its ability to create arp patterns for use in Sonar didn't get rolled into Sonar.

I love using arps, and it would be nice to be able to roll my own patterns for use in CbB without having to use a 3rd-party plug-in.