Anyone still using Project 5 in Windows 10?

JoseC

I'm migrating to a new laptop... got P5 2.5.1 successfully installed and authorized but for some reason I can't add a target folder to the vst scanner. Go through the motions and it just doesn't 'take'.  Anybody seeing this behavior? Also Win10.

p.s. Got back into making stuff after a few years away and used p5 (on the previous laptop quite a bit. 2 of 7 songs on the EP I just released were done in P5 v2.5.1 :)

10 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

try running as admin?

OK, so I thought I was, and may have been, and now after a cold boot the directory I was trying to add is in there where before it was blank. Without my trying to add it again. So either loading P5 in admin mode made it 'see' my entry from before, or the cold boot did. Thanks for weighing in either way!

On 9/18/2019 at 9:08 PM, kennywtelejazz said:

P5 is even better when you add some of the stuff that came with SONAR as add on's.  Throw in some of Larry's deals and watch out .

Kenny

Unfortunately a few things were tied to SONAR, like the Blue Tubes plugins.

What killed my joy with P5 was the memory limitations.  You couldn't use Addictive Drums plus Scarbee Rickenbacker plus Kontakt Vintage Organs at the same time without crashing.

10 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

Unfortunately a few things were tied to SONAR, like the Blue Tubes plugins.

What killed my joy with P5 was the memory limitations.  You couldn't use Addictive Drums plus Scarbee Rickenbacker plus Kontakt Vintage Organs at the same time without crashing.

You can still get a license for the Blue Tubes at : https://store.dontcrack.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=blue+tubes&x=0&y=0

or at: https://go.nomadfactory.com/store/

64-bits upgrade in the application would fix the memory limitations.

I believe that's a result of 32-bit applications being limited to 2GB memory space, even though a 32-bit Windows OS can use ~3.4GB, and 64-bit Windows OS much more. So when you start loading up samplers you are going to exceed 2GB easily... with synths, not so much...

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Magic Russ said:

I did get a license for the Nomad stuff some BFs ago, just saying that some people might be disappointed to find there are a few things from Sonar that aren't usable in P5.

Really the only problem is that you can't ReWire it into x64 Sonar or Bandlab. When I could ReWire, it didn't matter what would only run in Sonar, I'd just have P5 sending audio into Sonar and do the 'mix' there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, abacab said:

I believe that's a result of 32-bit applications being limited to 2GB memory space, even though a 32-bit Windows OS can use ~3.4GB, and 64-bit Windows OS much more. So when you start loading up samplers you are going to exceed 2GB easily... with synths, not so much...

That's right.  Another thing that hastened my abandoning P5 was when Rapture Pro came out.  There were a handful of patches which exceeded that limit on their own.  With that and other VST developers abandoning 32 bit versions, P5 finally was starting to feel obsolete.

• 1 month later...

Yes! I use it all the time. Since demonstrating the software back in the day I love it.

I really hope Jesse does revive it, if not parts of it.  The workflow and arpeggiator alone keep me coming back for more. 

***Hey Jesse, remember me?  So glad to see that you are working for BL.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Alas, my P5 2.51 won't run at all now. It seems to choke while trying to profile the sound card. I've tried it without the 1818VSL plugged in, just winks out back to desktop. Anybody know of a way to keep it from auto-running the WDM profiler? I'm trying to get in to use the ASIO Presonus drivers.

Really frustrating. I know I got many more years out of it than I reasonably should have, but for the stuff I do, the pattern editor and .ptn files that act as MIDI loops of literally any length are both vital. (Reich-style process music)

Shot in the dark. Anyway, thanks for the good times P5 if not.

Try this

On 5/12/2021 at 12:33 AM, Agincourtdb said:

I uninstalled, restarted, did a clean install, same behavior. :(

Try this (not sure if it works):

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Project5v2_5

Edit project5.ini (notepad)

Search for DisableDSound

Set it =1 if it exists, else add it

ie.
DisableDSound=1

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 9:03 PM, Kevin Perry said:

Try this

Try this (not sure if it works):

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Project5v2_5

Edit project5.ini (notepad)

Search for DisableDSound

Set it =1 if it exists, else add it

ie.
DisableDSound=1

Will try this tomorrow and let you know, thanks so much.

It doesn't - I tried last night.

Sorry 😞

I tried adding a DisableWDM entry just in case it also worked - no dice.  Fortunately, WDM works for me in Windows 10/Project5, and if it didn't, my MOTU driver exposes a setting "Use WaveRT for Windows audio" (or similar - not at my PC right now) which bizarrely disables WDM in Project 5!