Anyone still using Project 5 in Windows 10?

JoseC

On 9/12/2019 at 7:09 AM, JoseC said:

Just wondering whether it might be feasible to install it again and remembering old times...or making arpeggiator patterns, that IIRC should work with CbB

I have Project 5 installed on the Win 10 computer I am writing this post on . Before this lap top became a Win 10 64  OS  I had P 5 on it in Win 8.

My experiences have been good running P 5 on the newer Windows OS 's .That may be due to when I was deepest into P5 I was only using a 32 bit XP P 4 w an M Audio 1010lt. Now I run a Focusrite 2i4 .

P5 in Win 10 runs much better for me than it ever did in XP . I have a better machine , I have more ram and an i 3 beats a P4 at the poker table after all the bets are in .

Is it worth the trouble ? In my case the yay's far out weighs the nays . I will say that w some reservations ...

Just about every thing P 5 could do Cakewalk can do ...P 5 was so streamlined in it's work flow .Most of the features P 5 excelled at are living a breathing in the current version of Cakewalk ..so are most of the plugs , arpeggios , song and patterns , and a number of other things like the Matrix View , just the tip of the iceberg.

Cakewalk seems to have more layers of options to wade through itself to get the same results . I have l worked on learning Cakewalk to the point of being able to do a lot of what I used to do in P5 ...it is a steep learning curve imho ...It would take me hours to sit here and do a comparison on a workflow comparison one feature at a time between P 5 and Cakewalk .  

To be perfectly honest with you I fired up P 5 in Win 10 before I came here today . I find it totally inspiring to use P 5 with many of the  SONAR X3 , and SPlat  instruments and plugs that show up in P 5 ...P5w more modern plugs and synths kicks some serious colo ....the workflow is simplified and it is easier to get around for FAST down and dirty ...

Having said all that P5 on a more modern computer can be a little finicky w plugin scans and may crash more often . this computer has both 32 and 64 bit DAW's and the plugs an VST instruments I do have will scan and work for the most part in P5 ...

FWIW I don't use P 5 nearly as much as I did .

As far as other options go I have both Mixcraft 7 & 8 pro and they are pretty decent DAW's that can do what P 5 used to do and a lot more ...

The only thing that P 5 does that none of this other stuff does is save to PTN files ..

any way nice talking w you ,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, kennywtelejazz said:

The only thing that P 5 does that none of this other stuff does is save to PTN files ..

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the idea of saving PTN files, and especially arpeggiator files for the CbB is what made me ask. I have much fun jamming with arpeggiators to come up with ideas,  but I use to do it with hardware and I had not really paid much attention to the track arpeggiator in CbB until the other day that I played with it for a while and found that you cannot really program your own patterns unless you use P5, and searching a bit I came up with this: http://project5.technetos.com/technique/alesion-arp.shtml

So I thought about giving it a try.

I have P5 v2.5 installed in my Win 10 Pro x64 PC. It's amazing that P5 still installs and runs on this OS, and since my current computer is much better than the old P4 x86 that I used to run it on, so performance is not an issue!

And I still love the UI. It's relatively simple layout still looks relevant. And with everything right there, it is very inviting to dive into exploring and creating with it.

The only real drawbacks now are that it is 32-bit only (so each 32-bit process is limited to 2 GB RAM), and single threaded. This could be an issue when using large virtual instrument plugins such as samplers.

If they don't plan to ever update the program, it would be cool if Cakewalk could design a skin for CbB to emulate the look and workflow of P5, while using CbB "under the hood".

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 6:57 PM, abacab said:

The only real drawbacks now are that it is 32-bit only (so each 32-bit process is limited to 2 GB RAM), and single threaded. This could be an issue when using large virtual instrument plugins such as samplers.

also, it will only utilise 32bit plugins, so you'd have to have all those installed too - basically the reasons i moved to live - not muti-core aware, cannot use extra ram and 32bit only

I ran P5 v2.5 on my laptop  years ago.  I didn't add it when I built my PC for work strictly with SPLAT and now CbB.  I guest when I get a new i7 laptop in a few weeks I will try and add P5 to it and see how it works. 

P5 was my go to for quick creations , but I mainly use CbB for mixing now.; that is where my heart is.

On 9/19/2019 at 11:01 AM, InstrEd said:

P5 did have a cult following.  To bad it didn't survive to become 64 bit at least :(

They put out a survey before the last update asking for priorities on what they should update.  Multicore and 64 bit were listed as options.  The user base voted for input quantize.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

They put out a survey before the last update asking for priorities on what they should update.  Multicore and 64 bit were listed as options.  The user base voted for input quantize.

Somewhere back in the old daze, someone from Cakewalk mentioned that to update P5 to be a modern 64-bit application would require a  re-write of the code.

Somebody decided that it would be better to shift the good parts over  to Sonar. Like the Matrix View.