PRV Drum track How to drag?

Pathfinder

So, yes, I have never , ever used the PRV, I have always used my own moves. But now I have an issue. If I look at the midi drum track in PRV and select a row of sounds. I can drag it up and down. I want to drag it to say Clsd HH but I cannot. 

Just wondering why it lets me select the entire row of said note and drag it all where evrr I want but I cannot get it to stick anywhere? Hope that makes sense.

I guess my old ways are catching up with me  🙂 

The note in question is a number, not a note name. I am guessing it is clsd HH because of where it appears throughtout the track. But since it is a number, I cannot use find\replace. Bummer.

No I have been trying to drag the whole thing from the left pane. Would be so easy to use find\replace if this stupid midi file for the wedding was normal. By that I mean the drum track . The 2 notes I need to change are, well non notes. They have numbers instead. 25 and 27. which could be called c#2 and d#2 but find and replace does not recognize them as anything. I tried using 25, no go/. tried using c#2, no go. I know what they should be I think. There are no hh's or ride in the drum track so I figure thats what they must be. But to to change them one at a time is ridculous.

Also tried split notes to track Cal. It will not recognize the 2 5 & 27. It splits the rest fine but ignores the 2 numbers. really frustrating. It is the brides soong so I guess I will have to do it by hand. ridiculous. Oh well, not CW's fault.

I will try to drag sections and see if that works.

When you click a piano key to the left in PRV that selects all of that note though the whole song. This is desirable for moving notes from a downloaded file that is triggering the wrong sound in a kit. 

Individual Notes are moved by selecting them one at a time with the smart tool and drag whereevr,,, up down sideways. 

Groups of notes you can lasso with the smart tool and right click drag. 

Hey Cactus

I know that from your posts and others. Nothing drags in any shape or form. But, the big but. I was going to upload the drum track as a midi file so you guys could see what I mean, Right.

So I copied the drum track. Opened a new project. Pasted the midi track in by itself. TTS-1 comes up per your advice years ago. But now it is showing the 25&27 as C#2 & d#2???? That is so weird. I can now do find and replace because I know they are suppose to be the ride a clsdHH's. 

In the original file they are also assigned to TTS-1 but for whatever reason it did not change the 25&27?

So thanks to all. I am guessing it has something to do with it being a yamaha paid midi file $3.99 was worth it for the wedding so I didn't have to sequesnce the thing. All the free midis I found for the song were garbage. 

So after I get this right I will try and move\drag\select etc in prv view with a regular mdi file of my own. I have 1,000's.

Thanks guys

Edited by Pathfinder

10 minutes ago, Cactus Music said:

When you click a piano key to the left in PRV that selects all of that note though the whole song. This is desirable for moving notes from a downloaded file that is triggering the wrong sound in a kit. 

Individual Notes are moved by selecting them one at a time with the smart tool and drag whereevr,,, up down sideways. 

Groups of notes you can lasso with the smart tool and right click drag. 

Does selecting all the notes with a piano key then dragging the piano key to another key move all the notes in the PRV right pane?  I have never tried that.  I usually use the piano key in the left pane to highlight all the notes in the right pane...then click on one of the notes in the right side while they are all still highlighted and drag that one note.  That in turn drags all of the highlighted notes at once.

Edited by Teds_Studio
Typo
  • Thanks 1

No but I have only tried in this one midi file from yamaha on the web. I need to try with my own midi files.

To add to my post above I just opened the cwp I made with softsynths and all of the file. deleted the drum track (cut, not deleted)PAsted it right back in and it is showing midi notes like it should not 25&27. Although they are the wrong notes but now I can change them. Very strange.

This file was a type 0 midi file to start with. first thing I did was save it as a type 1. Maybe that screwed it up. Although it shouldn't. CW auto explodes type 0 midis upon opening.

Thanks for the help

I just opened up CbB and tried dragging notes highlighted by a piano key....with the piano key.  It does not work for me.  But...I can click on a piano note to highlight all those particular notes and then click on one of the notes in the right side of PRV and drag ALL of the highlighted notes at once.

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

This file was a type 0 midi file to start with. first thing I did was save it as a type 1. Maybe that screwed it up. Although it shouldn't. CW auto explodes type 0 midis upon opening.

Thanks for the help

Yes this might have caused an issue. As I remember a Type 0 file is the whole song in a combined track all channels mixed together,, very old sequence files...,, but you say when you open a type 0 file Cakewalk separates it into 1 channel per track??  

Type 1 files will open with each channel in it's own track which is more or less 99% of the files out there. 

I'm not sure that opening a type 0 and saving it as a type1 would  make a difference to editing however. 

But midi is midi and the Yamaha files should be 100% editable but be warned, Yamaha was the hold out and refused to use GM which was a Roland thing. So Yamaha sequences will use the Yamaha drum map. 

Once midi data is inside Cakewalk it should all be the same,, there can be no copy protection of the data. 

And no you do not drag the notes up using the piano keys. You do as you say, use the piano to highlight the whole row. Once a note is highlighted it can be moved. If it's not highlighted it won't move. 

Edited by Cactus Music

1 hour ago, Teds_Studio said:

I just opened up CbB and tried dragging notes highlighted by a piano key....with the piano key.  It does not work for me.  But...I can click on a piano note to highlight all those particular notes and then click on one of the notes in the right side of PRV and drag ALL of the highlighted notes at once.

I'll try tomorrow thanks again

4 minutes ago, Cactus Music said:

Yes this might have caused an issue. As I remember a Type 0 file is the whole song in a combined track all channels mixed together,, very old sequence files...,,

Type 1 files will open with each channel in it's own track which is more or less 99% of the files out there. 

I'm not sure that opening a type 0 and saving it as a type1 would extract all the channels.   

But midi is midi and the Yamaha files should be 100% editable but be warned, Yamaha was the hold out and refused to use GM which was a Roland thing. So Yamaha sequences will use the Yamaha drum map. 

I really do NOT buy midi files. But like I said most free were garbage for this song. Brides song, so I bought it after previewing it. The sequence ood. bass and drums mainly and some piano. Mostly guitar "bo diidly type which I will play and sing.

wht a hassle for one song.

BUT, at least I ize I do need to learn the PRV  ins and outs, after decades of not using it.

Thanks

I live in the PVR. And as you probably figured out I mostly make backing tracks just like you for my solo and duo acts. I also write original songs and use midi for lots of the parts. I don't have a good drummer available anymore so have to use VST. . 

I've never been a good keyboard player so editing midi notes goes back to1984  Dr T KCS sequencer for me. That was all done in a event list environment. 

It's unbelievable what you can do in PVR with my shoddy keyboard performances. 

Manipulating the timing, the duration, the velocity and then adding more notes to create big chords from my 3 fingered ones. 

Lininging up the placement of notes on multiple midi tracks is a big one for me.  Example making sure your Bass and Kick are tight. 

Last night I used a new trick where I'm adding new parts to an old bed track ( backing track) that I only have a stereo wave copy of. It's real drums, bass, rhythm guitar and a little bit of Korg Poly 800 I played live. It was originally recorded to a Yamaha MD8 track. 

I set the tempo as close as possible and layed down a hi hat on the 1/4 notes. This gives me a guide track to set all new parts in time to. 

I replayed the Poly 800 part ( I found a free VST)  added a piano part and a zither kind of thing on the bridge. So now the track sounds HUGE. The new midi parts mixed in with the old audio recording works well for this song. I always wanted more FAT synth and now I have it. 

I will now re sing and add a lead guitar part. But this all involved about 5 hours inside PVR editing. I played a simple piano part then I added extra notes manually. When done it's almost convincing that I can play a piano! And the bonus is I now have a much improved backing track to use live. 

I can say with confidence that if I can use PVR,,,, anybody can... Ayy sound I have in my head I can usually create with midi if I work at it. . 

• Great Idea 1

ey

So I wanted to thank you guys who responded and helped. I finally have things moving. 

Like mentioned above I hit piano key for instrument I want. Then select a bunch and move. I still cannot do the whole thing but that's ok. Practice makes semi-perfect

Thanks again guys