Sonitus Delay and Echo Settings to Simulate Large Cavern

Mike Slinn

I want to simulate the effect of having a microphone in a very large underground cavern. Seems like at least one delay and echo setting would be required, maybe more. Which order should I place the echo and delay? Echo first, then delay? Other way around? More than one delay? What settings would be most convincing?

Thanks,
Mike

While the Sonitus plugs are very nice, I would suggest getting even a free version of Melda Productions  MConvolutionEZ  or REmatrix Player. They come with a good sized collection of real spaces and sound more authentic to my ear.

Of course, you can always get the pay versions if you like.

Edited by Sidney Earl Goodroe

Thanks Sidney, I tried MConvolutionEZ. I like that it works from an impulse response file. I found some here: http://cksde.com/p_6_250.htm.

Hopefully I can find an impulse response file that is similar to the large cavern I want to model (300' high, with many attached tunnels and other caverns), or I need to learn how to create my own impluse response file.

BTW, I for Sonitus plugins I put delay before reverb.

• Thanks 1

1) Set up a send to an aux track
2) On the aux track, set up the delay so that none of the dry signal is output
3) Then set up a reverb on both tracks. Light on the main track but heavier on the ER, a bit wetter on the delay track, but less ER.
4) Set up a patch point/bus, route both tracks to it, then add a different reverb effect, this time with some HP/LP rolloff.
5) Set up one final subtle delay, but with a different timing and more HP/LP rolloff.

For reverb effects I tend to use Breverb 2 Cakewalk, and for Delay, I lean on iZotope DDLY a lot.