"Serendipity" 7/8 Fusion Groove with Piano and Sax

David Baay

Re-mixed/mastered and re-posted from Soundclick to Bandlab. Don't think I ever actually posted it to the Songs forum.

Has some simple, light percussion and ride cymbal. Any jazz-fusion drummers or sax/flute/horn players out there that might want to have a go at playing over it, let me know.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 5

Lovely composition!

Being a low-end freak, I'm wondering how it would sound with a bassoon layer (since I can't afford Ian Anderson :)).

A few years ago, I picked up the Odd Meter Drums MIDI packs from The Loop Loft to help me with those timings.

3/4, 5/4, 7/4, 5/8, 7/8, 9/8, 11/8, 15/8

Lots of fun!

Hi Dave

Like this  a lot - a great Sax solo would make this sound spectacular - I've just worked with a saxophonist friend of mine who just dubbed a small solo on a track we are doing at the moment. I'd originally hashed the solo together using some Kontakt instrument (cant remember which one) and i thought that sounded Ok - but the real thing, well something else!!

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

I think you are right on, Daryl. More cowbell! Actually, I just picked up the 'Odd Time' add-in for Jamstix, and was planning to let it have a go at this. If it turns out well, I might offer it to Rayzoon as a demo. I  wasn't that impressed with the 7/8 demo on their site. 😜

On 9/23/2019 at 9:18 PM, Bert Guy said:

Very tasty Brubeckian groove you have here ! The sax is in the pocket.

Thanks, Bert. I actually ended up offsetting the sax track about 30 ticks early because the slow attack made it sound draggy as-recorded. It's still a little loose/draggy in places, but I felt that added realism so I left it in.