Brent Spiner, Comedic Actor

bitflipper

5 hours ago, Grem said:

These new Trek shows, are they on regular TV or do you have to pay to stream them?

From wikipedia...

"The Orville is available in the United States on the Fox Broadcasting Company website as well as the Hulu and Amazon Prime streaming platforms. In the United Kingdom, the series is available on Fox UK's streaming service. In Australia, The Orville is available on the television channel SBS Viceland and streams on SBS on Demand. In New Zealand, the series is available on the free TVNZ OnDemand streaming service"

AFAIK StarTrek Discovery is streaming only:  CBS All Access in the US, and Netflix is most other countries. In Canada, it's on Space,Z and Crave. 

13 hours ago, Grem said:

I watched the first STDS9 episode "Emissary" today. That was a really good show. I think DS9 was one of the best ST series.

See, to me it was just a bunch of fighting. I mean, all the Trek shows had a fair amount of fighting in them, but it seemed like that was just about all DS9 did. And the ship's captain had a voice that drove me up the wall.

Actually fighting is one thing most sci-fi shows have in common that really bugs me. You have beings intelligent enough to traverse the stars and yet all they can think of to do is fight? It's like all these shows are written for 10 year old boys. I watched them all when I was young, but I just can't take them anymore.

Did anybody watch Interstellar or Arrival? I wish there were sci-fi TV shows that were as intelligently done as those films.

Some people think it was a little slow, but the two lead characters were trying to decipher an alien language, which in itself would have to be very slow going. Then one of them realized that math was actually part of the makeup of the language the same way consonants and vowels are a part of ours, and then it got very interesting indeed.  The first 45 minutes require patience though.

Yeah Will, same thing I thought. Has potential for sure.

And yes that have come really far in a short time. I remember when intro from DS9 look great with the comet and it's tail. Now on my big screen TV it's just ain't the same.

We have watched all the Star Trek series. Each having its fits and high points. Enterprise was great, and I was sad when it was ended after 4 seasons. I really like how it developed the universal relationships as we saw them in the other series. Like why Klingons looked so human in the original Star Trek with Shatner!  Janeway was the capt in Voyager. Same actress played’Red’ in ‘Orange is the new Black.’  Sometimes hard to believe they are the same actress. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ØSkald said:

For me, ST i too much political correctness. Babylon 5 was so much better in that way. And the music is way better too. B5 is just better. I boutht the box sett of SG1 recently. I havent started watching it yet. That was also better than the PC ST in my mind.

Babylon 5 and DS9 were aired at more or less the same time, and as they were both based on space station were easy comparisons.

I much preferred B5 at the time. The first few episodes were not that easy to get to grips with, but once I'd got into it, it just got better. There were always multiple plots at various levels going on.

I don't know if you noticed, but all the station commanders had the same initials (JMS) as the show's creator.

• Great Idea 1

I really enjoyed B5, especially as the series progressed into the later seasons. Very addictive show, and I like JMS's approach to the story and characters he created -- very balanced, fair, not overly PC. Very broad-minded, for the most part. I liked DS9, too, but found it got a bit lugubrious and heavy-handed as it went along. 

On 1/14/2019 at 7:43 PM, Grem said:

I watched the first STDS9 episode "Emissary" today. That was a really good show. I think DS9 was one of the best ST series.

Will have to check out "Orville."

DS9 would have to be my favorite - characters have so much more depth to them than in other shows... There are a lot of grey areas, shade and light.  Garak is one of my favorite  ST characters and a great example of that.

But I love all the shows - although it took me forever to get into the rest of them as I had no interest for any of the sequels to TOS until a few years ago.  

I have not yet watched Discovery but I am really not sure I will enjoy it.  My best buddy - who never liked Star Trek - is a huge fan,  and that sends me a weird signal because he also loved the Abrams movies - which I hated.  I always felt like they were trying to make a Star Trek that would finally appeal to Star Wars fans. As much as I like both, I don't thing they mix together well...

The Orville is a great show. My wife and I were hooked 5 minutes into the first show.

Edited by Rain