Brent Spiner, Comedic Actor

bitflipper

I've been slowly going through all the old Night Court episodes between Daily Motion and Solarmoviez. It's not nearly as good as I remember it unfortunately. I'm about halfway through season 9 now. I'm also into the final season of The Waltons at Amazon Prime. Boy did those last three seasons suck. Sticking with it though just so I can look at the old cars and furniture etc. Also going through all the episodes of St. Elsewhere at Hulu. It's not half as good as I remember it either. Not much is.

I still like The Rockford Files. Best TV theme music ever too. That and Barney Miller.

Yeah, Seinfeld is still very funny. I still love the Dick Van Dyke Show, Your Show of Shows, and the first three seasons of MASH were perfection. Then Henry and Trapper left and it was still good but not quite the same. I liked Wings a lot too.

Edited by Will

I really thought STTNG was heads and shoulders above the first series in terms of acting and story line.  In fact, I think all ST series after TNG was very good as far as acting went. Deep Space Nine is under-rated in my opinion.

I had forgot about Wings!! Will have to check that one out too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, InstrEd said:

I also  think STTNG had better story lines than the first ST series.  I also am a fan of the star trek voyager series.

I agree. NG and Voyager were the ones to watch.

Incidentally, when it comes to sci-fi TV, I thought Fringe was excellent. I mean, like The X-Files, they had several monster of the week episodes, but other than those, it was a very thought provoking show.

7 hours ago, Amicus717 said:

You folks are aware, I am guessing, that Jean-Luc Picard is due to return to television: 

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/star-trek-patrick-stewart-picard-cbs-all-access-1202895410/

Did not know this. Thanks.

I enjoyed, and still enjoy, all ST series that came on TV.

Have not watched the new/recent shows that came on.  Has anyone watched them? Are they worth watching?

9 hours ago, Grem said:

Have not watched the new/recent shows that came on.  Has anyone watched them? Are they worth watching?

The latest Star Trek (don't remember the name, but the one with the woman commander and several homosexual characters) is not my cup of tea at all. Star Trek Enterprise wasn't horrible like DS9, but it wasn't great either. Well, let's face it, none of them were anywhere near great, but they had their moments.

1 hour ago, Will said:

The latest Star Trek (don't remember the name, but the one with the woman commander and several homosexual characters) is not my cup of tea at all. Star Trek Enterprise wasn't horrible like DS9, but it wasn't great either. Well, let's face it, none of them were anywhere near great, but they had their moments.

I quite like Star Trek Discovery, but it's a very different format to all the rest of the shows. It's very dark.

Seth MacFarlane's "The Orville" is far closer to the TNG format, and is hilarious. 

• Like 1

The Orville is quite good, and does something risky and unusual - it's hilarious, but also has real characters and real stories, and the episodes alternate between comedic ones that are affectionate riffs on Star Trek (and other franchises), and stories with some genuine drama, action and social commentary to go along with the comedy. I very much enjoy it, and see it as sort of spiritual successor to STNG. Sort of.

It is clearly made by folks who are both amused by Star Trek, and really love it. Brannon Braga is one of the executive producers (he co-wrote the STNG finale, was a senior producer and major player for STNG, Voyager, ST Enterprise and some of the Trek movies), and I know at least a few STNG cast alumni are involved, too:  Jonathon Frakes (Cmd Riker) has directed a couple of episodes;  Marina Sirtis is guest starring in an upcoming show; and there are rumors LeVar Burton might be making a cameo in season 2 also. 

I'm a big Trek fan (as you can tell), but I much prefer The Orville to Discovery.

Edited by Amicus717
  • Like 1