Matching Wav tracks from an SD card to Cakewalk tracks in a Template

Edward Allen

Question

Ok, so  this is a bit messy, so please bear with me here! 

I am trying to find the simplest way to get the raw audio tracks from my Zoom L20 mixer into Cakewalk once they are already on the SD card inside the Mixer (for example a drum student just laid down a few tracks to the SD card in the Zoom mixer during a lesson and I suggested I could send him a simple mixed composite final Wav file of each one so he could listen back again later)

I could “stream” the audio one track at a time from the SD card in the mixer over to Cakewalk on my laptop, this is what I typically do and I have it set up so that the correct mixer track goes directly to the correct Cakewalk track etc.

BUT!

Because I typically use a different PC for any mixing down / playing around, (in another part of the house!) I put the SD into the Laptop and saved the 3 entire “projects” (as Zoom calls them) to a shared drive so I could access them via the PC later. Looking like this:

unnamed-2023-09-21T152352_794.png.2c083307ca04e087d4611b9d7d26eb37.png

OK, still with me?!!? 
SO I opened up Cakewalk on my PC and imported the 10 wav files from the above project into a my template Cakewalk template (same as I use on the Laptop) BUT the tracks did NOT “map” to the track numbers I expected but started appearing half way down the list of tracks like this…

MatchingtracksinCakewalk.png.d79b50c075ecbfedec2871be589be3cf.png

(If I had done this using this same template on my Laptop directly connected to the Mixer they would have "found" the right track) 

So any ideas:

Why do the wav files feed in halfway down the list of tracks in the template?

2) How to configure things so they DO feed into the correct track numbers in Cakewalk? (as per the directly connected Laptop)

Many thanks in advance!

Edward

2 answers to this question

1 minute ago, msmcleod said:

Why not drag them directly from Windows Explorer on to the tracks in Cakewalk?

Hi, Yes, this would absolutely work, I was just wondering if there is a more "elegant" solution to streamline this, given that I might have to do this same things quite often.

thx.