The Next Level - new original

daryl1968

On 9/16/2019 at 8:40 PM, Leizer said:

This is fantastic Daryl. Perfection from arrangement to mix. 10+/10 and the only tiny thing I can find to remark on is the upbeat of the last tambourine hit. But you probably wanted it that way... 🙄

And I love those guitar fills by James!

Thanks so much Lasse. 

If you play that particular upbeat on the tambourine backwards and slow it down, there is a message 

Daryl you have the sunshine in your voice, and the midas touch on a mix. For example, the song itself for me is a little more cotton candy than I'm usually attracted to, but your voice and the crystal clear mixing standard you always deliver more than kept my  interest.

It's a relationship song and a "will he commit???" song, and I've been committed for so many decades now that all I can say is "good luck figuring it out, dude"  :)

Great JG on the guitar and the Brit dance hall is well done. And very well sung indeed.

cheers,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2019 at 6:33 PM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Daryl

I like this - really reminds me of The Bonzo Dog Do Dah Band - used to love Viv Stanshall and once even saw Roger Ruskin Spears kinetic Wardrobe (or something like that) It was very strange and certain substances were obligatory to enjoy fully (beer of course😎😎😎) , but there you go, the old days!!

Great stuff

Nigel

Haha - thank Nigel - featuring the great Neil Innes of course....we are showing our age now!

On 9/25/2019 at 9:45 PM, freddy j said:

A very clean, fresh sound indeed!  It does have kind of a Sgt. Pepper-ish feel to it (that is a complement).  The lyrics are very clever and the music has a bit of a cheeky flavour that matches the lyrics perfectly.  Of course, the performance, vocals/harmonies, and mix are excellent. 

Thanks so much Freddy my mate

On 9/25/2019 at 11:07 PM, DeeringAmps said:

I've been back to listen 3 times ( and thought it had a Beatleish vibe as well. Someone mentioned Ringo).
Classic Daryl performance (I jumped on the Forum Monkeys link to refresh, of course regulars here are all familiar).
Daryl keeps the bar high for the rest of us...

Tom

The Do Dah Dog Band, now that's a blast from the past.

Thanks Tom - you are very kind

On 9/26/2019 at 3:10 AM, Hidden Symmetry said:

Enjoyed this Daryl,  reminded me of the Rutles. Well written & clever, quite the cheeky monkey.

I like monkeys!

Thanks so much 

On 9/26/2019 at 2:51 PM, Kevin Walsh said:

I enjoyed this one very much, Daryl, great lyrics and simple, clear and well executed vocals (always a standout for you guys) with a great arrangement. The mix is clear, balanced and quite nice to listen to. What's not to like?

Thanks so much Kevin

On 9/26/2019 at 7:09 PM, David Baay said:

Well done, Daryl et al. A good tune, and made me laugh. Ironic that the lyrics were written by a woman. She clearly has great insight into the minds of men.

Thanks David.

I know right? ...and there was me thinking we were complex beings :)

On 9/27/2019 at 5:20 PM, Robert Caley said:

Really enjoyed this one. Clear and clean mix, and nice overall production with good polish. 

Also, nice writing. Lyrics are entertaining. :)

Thanks a lot Robert - appreciate it

On 9/29/2019 at 8:15 PM, FJ Lamela said:

Clear,clean & smart.Great mix,good song.Congratulations!

Thanks FJ

On 9/29/2019 at 9:24 PM, emeraldsoul said:

Daryl you have the sunshine in your voice, and the midas touch on a mix. For example, the song itself for me is a little more cotton candy than I'm usually attracted to, but your voice and the crystal clear mixing standard you always deliver more than kept my  interest.

It's a relationship song and a "will he commit???" song, and I've been committed for so many decades now that all I can say is "good luck figuring it out, dude"  :)

Great JG on the guitar and the Brit dance hall is well done. And very well sung indeed.

cheers,

-Tom

Cheers Tom - I know what you mean re the cotton candy - the lyrics seemed to drive the arrangement and chords. I had fun doing it.

James did do a great job didn't he?

The current Mrs Daryl1968 and I are nearly 25 years married so I think I also belong to the committed club :)

On 9/30/2019 at 7:49 PM, Douglas Kirby said:

A really catchy tune - hats off to the lyrics - I thought they were really good.  I enjoyed the lead vocal as always.

The mix sounded very nice to my ears.

Thanks so much Douglas - her lyrics are excellent.

On 10/2/2019 at 9:00 PM, bjornpdx said:

Daryl
I always like your slice of life songs. The Next Level discussion is right up there with We Need to Talk About Our Relationship.  Aaaaugh. But you gotta go through it.

lol - absolutely Bjorn - thanks mate

On 10/4/2019 at 9:36 AM, thegaltieribrothers said:

Hi Daryl,

Another pristine performance with some great lyrics + a  faultless mix - did he ever get to the next level?

Thanks for sharing.

Good Job!

regards

paul

Cheers Paul - he got to level 42 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...