Best?- Windows 10 pro or Windows Server?

Bob Greene

what is best to install cakewalk on ...  windows 10 pro or windows server? I am using all INTEL chips, both north and south-bridge  and a 10-20 core 3000 Hz processor w/ 16 Gb RAM. I am looking to get the most plugin bandwidth possible.  I am having to reinstall Windows 10 pro as my machine locked me out[ forgot my password] when I went into 'safe mode' for maintenance, and I have both 10 pro and Server 2022 and wondered which would be best. I usually use around 10 - 30 fairly 'heavy' plugs on around 40 -60 tracks plus the pro console strip. I noticed that once I upgraded to the beta testing cakewalk, I have been having larger lags when doing simple tasks, but I didn't before this. Hmmmmm   Anyway, I would like to install the best for my use.  Thanx for your time and effort in this situation.

Maybe A Person Smarter Than Me can chime in here, but I'd suggest Pro would be your best bet since you wouldn't need all of the extras and potential overhead that Server would give you, and unlikely would ever need or use the hardware that requires Server to take advantage of it. I know that CbB is definitely tested on Home and Pro too, and Pro is cheaper than Server so it sounds like the most logical choice.

I'm running hundreds of tracks in some of my larger projects and quite a lot of CPU heavy effects, all and fairly low latency, and I use Win10 Pro myself with no problems whatsoever.

• Like 2

+1 to the above. The additional features only give additional administrative functions that are unnecessary for running a DAW. Enterprise (and ironically the Education version) give security taps that were exposed in Win7, but again unnecessary for a DAW (or even common usage). Win10 Pro falls into the "happy medium."

On 9/21/2023 at 11:36 AM, Jim Roseberry said:

If you're running a 12th or 13th Gen CPU, you're basically forced to run Win11... as Microsoft broke the ability to disable CPU core parking.

I'm running a 12th gen i9 and using ParkControl and I can't say I've noticed a problem with disabling core parking on Windows 10 22H2, but maybe it is continuing to park cores and I'm just not noticing it because it is such a grunty box. I'll keep an eye on this when I work on my larger projects.

34 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

I'm running a 12th gen i9 and using ParkControl and I can't say I've noticed a problem with disabling core parking on Windows 10 22H2, but maybe it is continuing to park cores and I'm just not noticing it because it is such a grunty box. I'll keep an eye on this when I work on my larger projects.

With 12th and 13th Gen CPUs, it's definitely broken.

Open Task Manager>Resource Monitor... and notice the CPU graphs showing "parked".  

The lower latency you're trying to run (and heavier the load), the more obvious the performance hit.

On 9/21/2023 at 1:36 PM, Jim Roseberry said:

Definitely Win10x64 Pro.

If you're running a 12th or 13th Gen CPU, you're basically forced to run Win11... as Microsoft broke the ability to disable CPU core parking.

Jim...I'm running a 12th gen on Win 10.  You're suggesting I'd see better performance with Win 11?  I abhor updates...so I've been ignoring the constant nagging to upgrade to 11.

37 minutes ago, HOOK said:

Jim...I'm running a 12th gen on Win 10.  You're suggesting I'd see better performance with Win 11?  I abhor updates...so I've been ignoring the constant nagging to upgrade to 11.

In later builds of Win10, Microsoft broke the ability to disable CPU Core Parking (for 12th and 13th Gen CPUs).

IOW, Cores are being Parked... even if you previously had it disabled.  No app/tweak will fix it.

The solution is to move to Win11... where CPU Core Parking can be disabled (as expected) for 12th and 13th Gen CPUs.

Will you see a difference in performance?

If you're working at low latency settings, most definitely.

If you're working with heavier projects at low latency, most definitely.

If you go to Task Manager>Resource Monitor... and look at the CPU graphs, you'll see they're being Parked.

Win11 in-and-of-itself won't be a performance upgrade (nor downgrade)... 

It'll just allow the CPU/configuration to work as it should.

There is a new thread scheduler in Win11 (for CPUs with P-cores and E-cores)... but I haven't seen dramatic performance difference.

For many of us who had been waiting for a compelling reason to move to Win11, this is that reason.

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Thanks 2

Colin, if it's been fixed... it's been very recently.

Have many professional clients that we had to migrate (to Win11)... because they couldn't wait (hope) for a fix.

The ironic (funny) this is...

If you installed the Win11 upgrade (in-place)... CPU Core Parking was then disabled (from tweaks originally made to Win10).

• Like 1

On the not ironic and not funny side....I just installed Win 11 upgrade last night and almost all of my cores were parked when I looked afterward.  I went in the registry and put a stop to that.

And instead of a performance boost....I got quite a deficit from my experience in Win 10.  I'm still working it out.

Did I mention I abhor updates? 🤣  Bad call.  I should have waited as long as possible.  But I do still have MB bios to update when I get home this afternoon.  Perhaps that squares me away.  Because I kinda feel like the only thing left after that is a driver or plugins that aren't happy.....and I can't control any of that.

Edited by HOOK

A few BIOS tweaks, a thunderbolt firmware and thunderbolt driver update and I'm off to the races again.  Stable with Win 11.

edit:  I guess I should add that I also updated every MB driver and MB bios as well.  I tend to not think of that stuff as long as things are running well.  There were a lot of revisions since I last updated, including some very recent.

Edited by HOOK

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: Now I see I'm just late to the thread... derp.

On 9/26/2023 at 10:38 AM, Jim Roseberry said:

In later builds of Win10, Microsoft broke the ability to disable CPU Core Parking (for 12th and 13th Gen CPUs).

IOW, Cores are being Parked... even if you previously had it disabled.  No app/tweak will fix it.

Hi @Jim Roseberry. In case you didn't see my update in my thread about slow project loading, ParkControl now does this on Win 10 for 12th and 13th gen CPUs. I'm pretty happy about that. :)

Edited by satchmo-x

21 hours ago, satchmo-x said:

EDIT: Now I see I'm just late to the thread... derp.

Hi @Jim Roseberry. In case you didn't see my update in my thread about slow project loading, ParkControl now does this on Win 10 for 12th and 13th gen CPUs. I'm pretty happy about that. :)

I'm glad that it's been fixed... but it was broken for a good while.

Forced many clients to migrate to Win11.