Cal Script transpose

Astraios

Hi,

is somebody around knowing the cal script code to move a note up or down?

haven't found anythig expect moving: octave up or down

cheers 🙋‍♂️

;; Octave Down.cal
;;
;; This is a sample CAL program that implements an editing command to
;; raise notes down one octave.
;;
(do
 (forEachEvent
  (if (== Event.Kind NOTE)
   (do
    (-= Note.Key 12)
   )
  )
 )
)

8 hours ago, Astra-Ios said:

Hi,

is somebody around knowing the cal script code to move a note up or down?

haven't found anythig expect moving: octave up or down

cheers 🙋‍♂️

;; Octave Down.cal
;;
;; This is a sample CAL program that implements an editing command to
;; raise notes down one octave.
;;
(do
 (forEachEvent
  (if (== Event.Kind NOTE)
   (do
    (-= Note.Key 12)
   )
  )
 )
)

The line above:

(-= Note.Key 12) is the one that changes the note, in this case by -12 semitones. 

Change it to:

(-= Note.Key 1) to move down one semitone or

(+= Note.Key 1) to move up one semitone

I've found this guide useful: http://members.ziggo.nl/t.valkenburgh/Cakewalk Application Language Programming Guide.pdf

• Like 1

In Cakewalk, if you need to transpose MIDI you can do two things, neither of which need a CAL script.

1. select the notes to modify then drag them up or down.

Or

2. select the notes to modify and choose Process -> Transpose from the menu. Here you can enter a precise amount.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bitman said:

In Cakewalk, if you need to transpose MIDI you can do two things, neither of which need a CAL script.

3. select the notes to modify then use Nudge (up/down)

4. use process Find/Change to select notes and modify, here you can enter a precise amount

;)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Hi , hello and thx,

that was exactly my idea yesterday, but something went wrong last night- maybe one beer too much 😉

I#ve done this years ago - I opened this predefined  '1 Octave Down.cal' and saved it under calfile directory.

It works fantastico and very easy to use (in PVR and trackpane!) - now the both new cal-files appaer in the shurtcutselection of keybinding Editor. I picked em upand now I have 4 new shortcuts; 2 for oct up and down  / 2 for note up and down.

1443023886_CALShortcut.PNG.b65c9ffff5c32ddaf40d40560c55fa29.PNG

10 hours ago, bitman said:

2. select the notes to modify and choose Process -> Transpose from the menu. Here you can enter a precise amount.

thx for xour command, but I really don't like the transpose window at all. It's a look a sight and it tells me the story of Cakewalks going under… but thanks anyway

13 hours ago, msmcleod said:

The line above:

(-= Note.Key 12) is the one that changes the note, in this case by -12 semitones. 

Change it to:

I've found this guide useful: http://members.ziggo.nl/t.valkenburgh/Cakewalk Application Language Programming Guide.pdf

9 hours ago, chris.r said:

3. select the notes to modify then use Nudge (up/down)

4. use process Find/Change to select notes and modify, here you can enter a precise amount

;)

thank you - it's a possible way, but seems to be a bit complicated 

As said, you use the PVR and it takes a split second to move any note, groups of notes anywhere you like. Why would you want to open menus??

you don't like using a mouse ??? it's all about the mouse and the smart tool if you want to get any work done and  gt it done fast.  I guess a touch screen might also work. 

Personally, I use Process->Transpose if I want the key change permanent, or the Key+ slider in the track inspector.

But the OP asked about CAL, so I answered about CAL. I figured he had a reason for wanting to use CAL (e.g. binding a key map or something).

Anyhow, loads of options here, PVR, MIDI FX etc.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I use Process->Transpose 

Transpose-Window? - uuhmp, hurts my workflow  every time I use it --> for me it's like operating a slotmaschine   ha ha 😂

want to change an octave - start with zero - missed the twelve - landed by fourteen - than, oops, back again, landed by 11 - next try - ooh strike home, I hit the twelve - welcome in Las Vegas 😎  this window might exist since the times of Pro Audio in the beginning of this century

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

I believe this script works without any dialog box and this is what he wanted - immediate effect after pressing the key. Workflows, workflows...

🤓 he he…   aaand it works in pvr as in track-pane together

****ouh - in trackpane, I'm not so shure anymore… grrrr****

Edited by Astra-Ios

On 1/13/2019 at 12:25 PM, msmcleod said:

Change it to:

Huu, huu 😪 the cakewalk-bitch shows me the middle finger again...  hi hi (humor helps me staying on top of the waters)

in PVR moving octave up and down works as moving one up or down - just fine

but in trackpane (note-view)…  there is only been shown the octave-jump; half note jumps aren't recognized! 😌

Starting the halfnote-CAL script in trackpane (modify) lets the note move just exactly a half note.

Whatsoever...

Do you know a solution?

Edited by Astra-Ios

15 hours ago, Cactus Music said:

you don't like using a mouse ???  

like the mouse - of Course,,, but not for all and everything

This might be the reason somebody invented something like shortcuts/Hotkeys one day.

To bring a balance between left and Right hand ...

Anyway, nice website and tutorials you have 👍

Hey,, I'm the one with a USB footswitch programed for R-W and spacebar...  I love hotkeys! But I always seem to misplace that list I printed off..

You find out soon enough when you think your typing in Track name and it looses focus and you now have just hit the v-o-c-a & l  keys by mistake. 

• Thanks 1

HI:)

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Al2mKojzOW0Ml7lcM-gX1LmJiqA1ZQ

Start the .exe in Admin Mode and test it with Cakewalk

1. Select  any  staff

2. Press AltGr + (Numpad1)

3. The note(s) must be transposed by 1 step

I've just made Numpad 1-4 yet, but if it works, just give me 24 Hotkeys for transposing, I'll prefer Numpad + any Modifier (Ctrl, Alt, AltGr, Shift)

In the .ahk file you can see how it is done!

Bassman.

Edited by Heinz Hupfer
forgot an "s"